Friends’ Central School is an independent, coeducational Quaker day school founded in 1845 and serving approximately 800 students in Nursery through grade 12. Located in the Philadelphia suburbs, the School has two campuses. The Middle & Upper Schools are located just outside of West Philadelphia in Wynnewood, and the Lower School is on our Old Gulph Road campus in the heart of Wynnewood.
The exceptional faculty at Friends’ Central offers a curriculum that is both intellectual and thoughtful, cultivating the intellectual, spiritual, and ethical growth of our students. Our pedagogy is grounded in continuing revelation, reflection, integrity, and a willingness to accept responsibility. From Nursery to grade 12, our students participate in a process designed to foster creative, critical, and flexible thinking, along with compassion. As they transform from playful children to skilled, self-possessed teenagers, they are always intellectually curious and engaged thinkers. Friends’ Central prepares graduates to succeed in college and in life.
Lower School Part-Time Art Teacher
Friends’ Central School seeks a part-time, experienced Lower School Art teacher. The Lower School art program provides a rich curriculum using applied and fine arts, including both two- and three-dimensional work, and incorporating a diverse range of artists and their work. Often, the work of the art rooms integrates with the classroom studies and other specialists’ curricula. A successful candidate will have both a passion for the subject matter and for teaching students with a wide range of abilities, ideally originating in their own creative practice. They should be able to provide technical instruction in an engaging manner, while at the same time, fostering creativity and problem solving. Such a candidate will be a team player interested in collaboration, have excellent interpersonal skills, complement the perspectives of the existing department, and see the value of nurturing the whole child. This 10-month position will report to the Lower School Principal.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities include the following:
• Teaching a variety of media including but not limited to: drawing, painting, printmaking, collage, and ceramics to ages 3-11
• Showcasing student work on campus (throughout the halls and as scenery for dramatic performances) and off campus (neighboring library)
• Working with members of the department to create a scope and sequence that builds from Nursery through 12th grade • Attending faculty meetings and professional development days
• Continuing to develop and map the curriculum
• Serving as a student advisor for independent projects, teaching an elective to grades 4 and 5
• Maintaining a working studio, including ordering of art supplies, storing and returning student work, maintaining the kiln, and overseeing the firing of student ceramics
• Collaborating with the Light Lab Director around innovative cross-disciplinary project ideas
• Other duties as assigned
• BA or BFA in related field required, MFA preferred
• Experience teaching art to elementary-aged students
About Friends' Central School
Friends’ Central School is an independent, coeducational, college-preparatory, Quaker day school, founded in 1845, serving 800 students in Nursery through grade 12. Located on two campuses in Wynnewood, Pa., Friends’ Central blends a rigorous curriculum with enduring Quaker principles of kindness, compassion, and generosity of spirit to create a solid foundation for a future of opportunity and success. Students at Friends’ Central School are taught to think critically and creatively, and they learn the value of good character and strong work ethic to develop into active and engaged citizens.
Friends’ Central seeks candidates who will enhance the philosophy of inclusivity and awareness articulated in our Diversity Statement.