Why Teach at Avenues?
There is no place quite like Avenues. We are a top-tier school in New York City that offers a trulyglobal education, one that will expand to the world’s leading cities in the next decades. Our faculty bring widely diverse experiences, but we are all committed to creating a unique educational experience together. We foster a culture of creativity, entrepreneurship, and deep collaboration. We teach and learn through challenging interdisciplinary projects. And we offer unparalleled possibilities for professional learning prospects around the globe.
Deep Collaboration and Constant Evolution
Collaboration isn't a buzzword here--it's woven into everything we do. We have built substantial time to collaborate into our schedule. Teacher teams across multiple disciplines design learning experiences for a whole grade level. This intensity of collaboration is challenging as well as exciting: we're always evolving, learning from each other, and seeking to improve.
What You’ll Do
At Avenues, learning another language is more than an academic pursuit; it is a practice that transforms the way students see and think about the world. We develop our own inquiry-based curriculum that helps students learn within and through their target language. As a result, our students develop their second-language skills through vibrant classroom discussions, engaging and authentic projects, cultural and international exchanges, and frequent real-world language use. Spanish teachers also collaborate not only with each other, but also with colleagues in other disciplines to design both complementary and integrated learning experiences.
More broadly, all teachers at Avenues:
- ensure students achieve key learning outcomes by targeting instruction to address individual student needs
- co-construct with students a classroom environment that establishes high standards, fosters a sense of belonging, and upholds our founding values of welcome, safety, and respect
- practice cultural competence in the classroom and workplace
- inspire trust and confidence with guardians and families through regular, proactive communication
- contribute to the broader community of our NYC campus and global network