Rocky Hill School is an independent N-12 coed school in East Greenwich, Rhode Island that focuses on whole child education - mind, body, and spirit. We are currently seeking a full-time K - 6 grade Physical Education and Health teacher to begin at the start of the 2019/2020 school year.
Qualified candidates will have experience working with elementary school aged students in a physical education setting.
• Plan and instruct physical education classes for Grades K-6 students emphasizing safety, fun, and skill development.
• Develop age appropriate health curriculum focused on nutrition, healthy habits, and other developmentally appropriate topics, some of which will be delivered in a PE and/or health class setting, as well as in collaboration with classroom teachers as part of grade level lessons.
• Evaluate and assess student performance in physical education classes.
• Communicate effectively with students, faculty, and parents about student progress.
• Collaborate and participate actively in the work of the Department on innovative curriculum design and program development while integrating project-based learning opportunities.
• Participate actively in the school community, which includes coaching in an area of interest/expertise, a minimum of two seasons within the Athletics department (sports ranging from fitness, Middle School sports, to Upper School competitive teams.)
• Positive and effective classroom management skills
• Swim instruction experience with a youth-based aquatics program, having gained American Red Cross Water Safety Instructor (WSI) certification, or similar qualification.
• Experience with a broad range of physical education classes including team sports, strength and conditioning, dance/rhythm and yoga.
• Experience playing and/or coaching a team sport at the high school level; playing and/or coaching at the college level preferred. This position may require the ability to occasionally lift or move items weighing up to 50 pounds.
Rocky Hill School is an equal opportunity employer. Rocky Hill School does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, gender, sexual orientation, age, handicap or national or ethnic origin in the administration of its admission, financial aid, employment, educational policies or other school programs.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, statement of educational philosophy, and a list of 3 references to Patricia Pontarelli, Head of Lower School, at email@example.com
About Rocky Hill School
Founded in 1934, Rocky Hill School is a private, independent, day school for grades nursery through 12, located on 84 acres overlooking Narragansett Bay. RHS is focused on contemporary and innovative teaching, and an interactive educational experience that prepares students to become leaders and lifelong learners. Our diverse student body is challenged academically and afforded opportunities not found at other schools. Our small school community, where every student matters, allows for individualized instruction and creates a familial setting throughout campus. Upper, Middle, and Lower School students interact with each other and faculty in ways that create a distinct learning dynamic. Our mission is the educate the whole child—mind, body, and spirit.
Average Class Size: 12 students. Student to Faculty Ratio: 5:1.