Bertschi School educates children to become compassionate, confident and creative learners in a global community.
Our community values integrity, inclusiveness, respect, diversity, and a commitment to sustainability.
• Our community supports and celebrates the unique gifts of every person
• Our teachers inspire academic excellence and individual success
• Our curriculum fosters intellectual curiosity and emotional maturity
• Our school encourages social responsibility and collaborative problem solving
Our Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Statement
Bertschi School values diversity and believes engaging our differences makes us better and stronger. We welcome and honor the unique contributions of people from all racial, ethnic, religious and socioeconomic backgrounds, gender identities, learning styles, physical abilities and sexual orientations. Our commitment to equity drives us to be inclusive and diverse in all areas of our school.
Bertschi School, founded in 1975, is a Washington State approved elementary school. We are a member of the National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS) and the Northwest Association of Independent Schools (NWAIS). The school serves children from pre-kindergarten through grade five. Bertschi School is an exciting environment for professionals who like to be part of a dynamic team and who thrive on the challenges and rewards of working with an active community. The staff enjoys a salary and benefit package in line with other independent private schools in the Northwest.
This position is a long-term (one year) position teaching first grade. The teacher will work closely with an experienced grade-level partner teacher and teaching assistant to plan, deliver, and assess an enriched and differentiated first grade curriculum. The teacher will also participate in the community life of the school including staff meetings, in-service days, and task forces as needed.
• Plan, deliver, and assess academic and social-emotional curricula in collaboration with grade level partner, teaching assistant, specialist teachers, learning services department, curriculum coach, and Associate Head of School
• Create and maintain a classroom culture based on the mission and values of the school
• Employ culturally responsive teaching practices that align with school’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
• Engage a variety of teaching strategies suitable to the developmental age and needs of the students and subject matter
• Understand the mission, values, and policies of the school and use these to identify and solve student, curricular, and school issues with appropriate professional conduct, keeping supervisors apprised
• Communicate openly and directly with parent partners
• Initiate growth and change for intellectual and professional development
• Attend community meetings, curriculum meetings, and in-service days
• Participate in faculty work aligned with the strategic plan
• Write student evaluations, twice a year according to the school calendar
• Conduct parent conferences
• Participate in Spring Art Showcase, Grandparents/Special Friends Day, Back to School Night, Admissions Open House, and other stewardship opportunities
• Manage classroom budget, order school supplies, and compile textbook orders
• Write classroom newsletters once a month with grade level partner
• A bachelor’s degree
• A teaching certification preferred
• Graduate degree in education or related subject/field preferred
• Classroom teaching experience at an early elementary level for a minimum four years preferred
Bertschi School is an equal opportunity employer seeking a more culturally diverse workplace. Bertschi School does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, national or ethnic origin, socio-economic status, gender, sexual orientation or disability.
About Bertschi School
Bertschi School, founded in 1975, is a Washington State approved elementary school. We are a member of the National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS), the Northwest Association of Independent Schools (NWAIS) and accredited by the Northwest Association of Accredited Schools (NWAC). The school serves children from pre-kindergarten through grade five. Bertschi School is an exciting environment for professionals who like to be part of a supportive team of dedicated professionals and who thrive on the challenges and rewards of working with an active community. The staff enjoys a salary and benefit package in line with other independent private schools in the Northwest.