Friends’ Central School is an independent, coeducational Quaker day school founded in 1845 and serving approximately 800 students in Nursery through grade 12. Located in the Philadelphia suburbs, the School has two campuses. The Middle & Upper Schools are located just outside of West Philadelphia in Wynnewood, and the Lower School is on our Old Gulph Road campus in the heart of Wynnewood.
The exceptional faculty at Friends’ Central offers a curriculum that cultivates the intellectual, spiritual, and ethical growth of our students. Our pedagogy is grounded in continuing revelation, reflection, integrity, and a willingness to accept responsibility. From Nursery to grade 12, our students participate in a process designed to foster creative, critical, and flexible thinking, along with compassion. As they transform from playful children to skilled, self-possessed teenagers, they are always intellectually curious and engaged thinkers. Friends’ Central prepares graduates to succeed in college and in life.
Lower School Part-Time Science Teacher
Friends’ Central School seeks a seeks a part-time Lower School science teacher. The School seeks candidates who are innovative, technology savvy, have a firm grasp on teaching pedagogy, and embrace the unique developmental stages of elementary school students.
In accordance with principles of Quaker pedagogy, teachers at Friends’ Central are dedicated to creating and nurturing mutually respectful and fully engaged classroom communities. Academic departments meet regularly and work collaboratively. A learning community founded on Quaker values relies on the commitment of all its members for its success. Friends’ Central teachers are also actively involved in the life of the school outside their classrooms.
• Teach hands-on/inquiry-driven Lower School science classes
• Assess students’ progress and performance, including writing end-of-semester reports
• Attend grade level team meetings and faculty meetings
• Develop and coordinate curriculum with other science teachers
• Find and develop interdisciplinary opportunities with homeroom teachers
• Collaborate with other faculty to integrate science and engineering opportunities with theme of fall project
• Incorporate the School’s bird blind, garden, and pond into curriculum and lessons
• Serve on Garden committee and help to maintain bird blind, garden, and pond
• Manage and purchase supplies for science curriculum
• Training in teaching multiple methodologies Friends’ Central School seeks candidates with a commitment to fostering an inclusive learning community who will address issues of diversity, as well as enhance the Philosophy of Inclusivity and Awareness articulated in our Diversity Statement.
Please send cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed as they are received. For more information about Friends’ Central, visit www.friendscentral.org.
About Friends' Central School
Friends’ Central School is an independent, coeducational, college-preparatory, Quaker day school, founded in 1845, serving 800 students in Nursery through grade 12. Located on two campuses in Wynnewood, Pa., Friends’ Central blends a rigorous curriculum with enduring Quaker principles of kindness, compassion, and generosity of spirit to create a solid foundation for a future of opportunity and success. Students at Friends’ Central School are taught to think critically and creatively, and they learn the value of good character and strong work ethic to develop into active and engaged citizens.
Friends’ Central seeks candidates who will enhance the philosophy of inclusivity and awareness articulated in our Diversity Statement.