Full-time, 12-month position that reports directly to the Business Manager/CFO. This is an exempt position as defined by the Department of Labor. The primary objective of the Director of Security is to provide direction and leadership for campus safety and security services.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
• Develop and continuously improve policies and protocols to support emergency response and a safe school climate.
• Assess problem situations and exercise tact and judgment in bringing about their resolution
• Serve as a central resource internally and externally in response to security and safety concerns or questions.
• Develop and maintain collaborative relationships with local, state, and federal law enforcement and safety agencies.
• Supervise, instruct, train and coordinate the activities of all security staff. The school has an internal security staff and additionally hires contract staff as needed.
• Coordinate schedules of security staff to provide appropriate security coverage for campus activities
• Patrol buildings, campus grounds and parking lots on foot or in a vehicle to observe unusual behavior, prevent vandalism, and identify conditions that could result in injury or loss.
• Monitor incoming traffic to school campus, welcome visitors and direct them to the appropriate areas.
• Enforce parking and driving rules and provide traffic control at high traffic times
• Investigate and report to administration all noted incidents, hazards and accidents.
• Maintain a security log of all activities and incidents occurring on campus.
• Develop and monitor security department budget.
• Monitor security equipment and ensure that units are functioning properly
• Lead training exercises regularly for students and employees.
• Knowledge of law enforcement policies and procedures, crime prevention, investigations, and public safety training.
• Experience as a police officer or other civilian and/or military law enforcement.
• Experience as a security professional in a K-12 school environment is preferred.
• Excellent customer service skills.
• Experience working with culturally diverse communities.
• Proven ability to manage critical incidents successfully.
• Experience organizing, coordinating and supervising support staff.
• Good verbal and written communication skills with ability to prepare reports and deliver oral presentations.
• Physically able to walk, run, climb staircases, bend, stoop and carry 40 pounds at minimum.
• Physically able to work outdoors, in all types of weather conditions.
• Possession of a valid Colorado driver's license and excellent driving record.
Applicants are also invited to visit the CA website (www.coloradoacademy.org) to learn more about the school and its program.
Colorado Academy does not discriminate in any of its programs, procedures, or practices on the basis of age, color, disability, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, military service, or other protected status.
Additional Salary Information: CA offers an excellent compensation package, wide-ranging opportunities for professional development, and an environment notable for its dedicated teaching professionals and supportive administrators.
About Colorado Academy
Colorado Academy is a coed, independent, Pre-K -12, country day school located on 95 acres in SW Denver. Founded in 1906, we offer a college prep, liberal arts and sciences curriculum for our 965 students. The school emphasizes 21st century skills. Visit www.coloradoacademy.org to learn more.