Ethical Culture Fieldston School is a progressive PreK-12 independent school that has been serving students from throughout New York City and the surrounding suburbs since 1878. ECFS offers a rich curriculum in the arts, sciences, and humanities. A co-ed, nonsectarian school, it serves a diverse community of about 1,700 students on two campuses -- one in the Riverdale section of the Bronx and the other in Manhattan.
Whatis essential about working at our school?
The Ethical Culture Fieldston School has a long history of equity and inclusion deeply rooted in our mission and the educational philosophy of our founder, Felix Adler. We embrace diversity of ancestry, family, identity, culture, and beliefs and seek a student body and faculty that reflect the pluralism and socio-economic diversity of metropolitan New York. We affirm both our differences and commonalities, and strive to balance individuality and community. In keeping with our progressive tradition, we are dedicated to increasing our students’ cultural literacy to help them understand multiple perspectives, and see the world beyond the self. We expect members of our community to engage in open dialogue about living and learning in a diverse environment inside and outside the classroom. We see this work, with its creative tensions, as a catalyst for individual and collective growth. On a daily basis, we are committed to making this vision of a democratic, pluralistic, and progressive school a reality.
What are we looking for?
The Ethical Culture Fieldston School Office of Admissions is seeking a mission-driven, dynamic, people-person who is passionate about progressive education and social justice to fill the role of Admissions Associate for its Middle and Upper School Divisions. The Admissions Associate has the primary responsibility of assisting the Director of Middle and Upper School Admissions in the administration and implementation of admissions policies and procedures. The successful candidate will be creative, eager to learn, a team player, and have a good sense of both ethics and humor. The position l reports to the Director of Admissions, Middle and Upper, and will join a team of committed and collaborative colleagues. The Admissions Office is located on ECFS’s Fieldston Campus in the Riverdale section of the Bronx. This is a full-time, ten-month, salaried position.
The primary areas of responsibility include:
• Interview prospective Middle and Upper School students and families and write detailed narrative evaluations of these conversations
• Respond to all prospective family and applicant phone and email inquiries
• Maintain ongoing communication and follow-up with prospective families throughout the application process
• Assist in managing the Middle and Upper School Tour Guide Program including supporting the Director and student leaders in recruiting, selection, training, and managing student tour guides
• Read and evaluate admission file
• Communicate with prospective families specifically about the Fieldston Middle and Upper School programs, as well as the Ethical Culture Fieldston School in general
• Serve on the Middle and Upper School Admission Committees
• Recommend admissions decisions to the Director
• Assist in the planning and execution of all prospective and newly admitted family events
• Arrange buddies for newly admitted student Revisit Days
• Arrange buddies for newly enrolled students and families
• Represent ECFS at all relevant school fairs, meetings, and panels (some evenings and Saturdays required)
• Cultivate and maintain positive relationships with students, families, faculty, administrators, and other members of the ECFS community
• Attend ISAAGNY meetings
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Requirements for the Position:
• Bachelor’s degree required
• Previous admissions and/or youth development experience desired
• Demonstrated ability to handle confidential situations and materials
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills
• Flexibility to work evenings and weekends as needed
• Strong time management and organization skills
• The ability to improvise, stay calm during stressful situations, and to laugh at one’s self
To apply please visit our school website www.ecfs.org
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, or protected veteran status. ECFS takes affirmative action in support of its policy to employ and advance in employment qualified people of color, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
About Ethical Culture Fieldston School
Ethical Culture Fieldston School is a progressive PreK to 12 independent school serving students from throughout New York City and the surrounding suburbs.
Committed to academic excellence, ethical learning, and progressive education, ECFS offers a rich and challenging curriculum in the arts, sciences, and humanities.
A coed, nonsectarian school, it serves a diverse community of about 1,700 students from PreK to 12 on two campuses -- one in the Riverdale section of the Bronx, and the other in Manhattan.