The Annual Fund and Family Engagement Director is responsible for the overall direction of the annual fund program (JCDS Fund), including expanding and strengthening the base of philanthropic support. The Director leads annual giving for all constituencies including: leadership donors, Trustees, current parents, alumni families, grandparents, business council members, faculty, and staff. Through a wide variety of programming and volunteer opportunities, the Director also provides direction and support to the Parents’ Association.
The Annual Fund and Family Engagement Director reports to the Senior Director of Advancement and works closely with the Director of Marketing and Communication and the Director of Admissions.
• Develops and manages the school’s annual giving program • Designs, implements, manages, and evaluates annual fund strategy, creating a case for giving, including approach and messaging for annual fund consistent with the school’s messaging framework • Develops, in conjunction with the Director of Marketing, print and electronic solicitation and support materials for all constituency groups and segments including, but not limited to: Business Council, grandparents, alumni, former Trustees, alumni parents. • Manages annual fund promotion efforts as part of Advancement team • Works with current and prospective Business Council members to support JCDS • In conjunction with the Senior Director and Head of School, assists with management of the Leadership Council including solicitation, stewardship strategies, and donor events • Assists with training and support of Board of Trustees Advancement Committee members and JCDS Fund Cabinet volunteers in relation to annual fund efforts • Manages Annual Giving donor stewardship and recognition efforts • Produces reports to track and evaluate the success of the annual fund on a monthly and annual basis and assess the effectiveness of specific strategies • Researches potential personal solicitations of key major donors as assigned • Creates and implement plans, in conjunction with Education Directors, to engage alumni and parents of alumni in classroom and school wide opportunities • Works with Marketing and Communications to update and maintain the Development pages on the website • Manages and acknowledges in kind donations • Oversees data entry into Raiser’s Edge; confirm accuracy of data • Coordinates the development of the Annual Report for inclusion in Connections magazine
• Serves as liaison to Parents’ Association for all community events and initiatives while assisting with coordination of communication efforts among parents, Trustees, faculty, and staff by working with the Marketing and Communication Director
• Supports the Parents’ Association with Celebrate JCDS and the annual auction, including soliciting items from teachers and administrators, as well as Board of Trustees; coordinating and working with Parents’ Association to setup event website; and providing other support as needed leading up to and during the event
• Assists with annual Grandparents and Special Friends Day • Other duties as assigned
• Has a keen understanding that a robust Annual Giving program creates a culture of philanthropy and is the foundation for all major fundraising • Truthful, positive, and purposeful when communicating with others • Cultivates, embraces, and celebrates volunteer efforts
• Displays an innate ability to show respect and honor all donors • Holds self and others accountable to accomplish results • Positively support the school’s policies and practices and work collaboratively in a professional organization
• Bachelor’s degree and 5-7 years of direct fundraising experience. An equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and skills have been acquired may substitute for a degree.
• Strong interpersonal and relationship-building skills, including the ability to work collaboratively on a team and communicate effectively and respectfully with donors, board members, volunteers, staff, parents, grandparents, and alumni.
• Proven ability to manage complex projects with multiple deadlines and deliverables in a timely, organized way. Adept at juggling competing priorities. Ability to stay focused, eventempered, and to use good judgment in stressful circumstances.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Flexible and adaptable.
• Experience working with fundraising databases, knowledge of Raiser’s Edge preferred.
• Experience attending or working in an independent school or university preferred.