Gwynedd Mercy Academy High School is seeking a College Counselor to add to its counseling department. The College Counselor is responsible for guiding students and parents through the college admission and financial aid process. He or she will join a dynamic educational environment where all administrative and teaching colleagues work collaboratively to build and maintain a learner-centered, inclusive school community. The College Counselor commits to the mission of Catholic education in the Mercy tradition.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITES:
§ Guide students and families as they move through the college research, application and selection process
§ Assist students with building their college list with outside research
§ Write letters of recommendation
§ Collaborate with English department on Common App essay
§ Advise students about course selection
§ Review students’ college application materials
§ Maintain regular contact with students and parents throughout the process
§ Develop and maintain professional relationships with college admission representatives; visit 5+ colleges a year
§ Keep current on college admission and financial aid standards and trends
§ Assist in organizing and facilitating workshops, college fairs and college advisory class for students, parents, and faculty to understand further their roles in the admission process.
§ Attend professional conferences including NACAC, ACCIS, and College Board
§ Attend Gwynedd admission open houses, interview applicants and parents, read and evaluate prospective student applications annually
§ Additional administrative responsibilities to be determined based on skills and experience
Knowledge of the structure of the educational system as well as cultural, political and social influence on current educational practices
· Knowledge of college application process and current admission trends
· Impeccable listening and communication skills both written and spoken; Ability to be flexible with daily schedule, e.g. using time-management skills
· Proficiency with Naviance, school data systems, Microsoft/Google platforms
· Demonstrate multicultural, moral, ethical, and professional competencies
· Ability to collaborate effectively with parents, teachers, administrators, community leaders, and others to promote and support student success
About Gwynedd Mercy Academy High School
Gwynedd Mercy Academy High School is a private, Catholic All-Girls, College Preparatory High School located in Gwynedd Valley, PA.