Data Manager 2019-20
Data Systems Manager
Khan Lab School seeks a School Data and Learning Management System Manager with a background in educational technology and/or experience using a learning management platform, such as Canvas. The individual in this role will improve learning outcomes for all students by applying data and technology tools and practices to teaching and learning. They will also be responsible for enabling richer interactions among students, teachers, administrators, and families by identifying and delivering data-informed solutions. This position is a great opportunity for someone with a background in teaching and technology that would like to join a mastery-based school. Candidates should ideally hold a bachelor of science degree in computer science or educational technology and be familiar with Khan Academy, Sal Khan’s book The One World Schoolhouse, and should be excited about working in a startup school. Experience as a registrar would be an asset. KLS is a year-round school based in Mountain View, CA.
WHO WE ARE
About Khan Lab School
Khan Lab School is a non-profit, independent school associated with Khan Academy. Our purpose is to develop student-centered practices that demonstrate that when adults step back, children drive their learning and rise to the occasion with gusto. We believe that young people are capable of far more than society currently recognizes, and we create and assess learning experiences to share with the world. Many of the core principles and ideas to be developed and tested in our school are outlined in The One World Schoolhouse: Education Reimagined.
Our school currently serves approximately 180 students ages 5-17+. In keeping with The One World Schoolhouse philosophy, we provide an extended-year, extended-day, mixed-age program with a project-based learning approach. Recognizing that ownership and relationship are the keys to success in learning, our academic experience is coordinated by a team of teachers who also advise students and support them through increasing levels of autonomy.
Our teaching philosophy encourages meaningful inquiry and interdisciplinary work, and we utilize blended, self-paced learning to meet the needs of each student. Thanks to our association with Khan Academy, we are leveraging the power of technology to humanize the classroom.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
To support our growing program, Khan Lab School seeks a talented professional who possesses a thorough knowledge of educational record-keeping and maintains the vision and goal of our mastery-based model. Candidates should be able to maintain all records, solidify the flow of records and progress reports during grading cycles, create official documents when requested, provide faculty support for our Canvas learning management system, support teachers in the use of that system, and assist with scheduling, course registration, and course enrollment.
Roles and Responsibilities
Establish data-informed organizational systems and culture.
- Empower school leaders, faculty, students, and families with the tools and training to own and understand the data that’s most relevant to them.
- Simplify and align data collection, analysis, and reporting systems and processes.
- Model and document sound data management practices for education, especially those regarding privacy and security of student records and personally identifiable information to meet or exceed FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act) guidelines.
- Coordinate term- and year-long data cycles of assessment, analysis, and action.
- Develop architecture for sustainable, scalable data management, including interoperability with 3rd-party industry tools and educational technologies.
- Create reports, interactive dashboards, and other tools to support stakeholders in realizing data-informed goals (e.g., learner differentiation, efficacy research, advisor 1:1s).
- Manage LMS; train and support faculty and students.
- Support faculty in using technology to engage, assess, and understand students.
- Evaluate new educational technologies and their potential for KLS students; stay abreast of current trends and research in the field.
- Support the development of registrar and transcript functions by developing tools in Google Data Studio or similar tool.
- Manage the attendance records of students via Canvas and share with teachers, administration, and parents when necessary.
- Attend open houses and orientation trips, and participate in other school related events.
WHAT YOU’LL BRING
Skills and Capabilities
The ideal candidates should possess many of the following qualifications:
- Knowledge of Canvas, Google Suite, Adobe Creative Suite, coda and similar products;
- Entrepreneurial mindset and willingness to actively contribute to continuous evolution of the school.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Attention to detail and the ability to respond quickly to time sensitive requests.
- Ability to multitask, provide immediate assistance, and prioritize.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Work collaboratively and independently with little direct supervision.
- Ability to model and foster a culture of respect and learning.
WHAT WE OFFER
Khan Lab School is a team of educators that have a deep commitment to their work. We get things done and believe that in our highly collaborative environment that anything is possible. All of our decisions are made through the lens of what is best for our students. We tackle tough questions without ego, are results oriented, and have high expectations for school, our students, and ourselves.
Khan Lab School offers a stimulating and unique working environment with a competitive salary. We seek team members who possess a unique skill set since this is a multi-faceted teaching position. To learn more about our vision & learning design, please visit our website: khanlabschool.org.
Competitive compensation commensurate with experience
Health, dental, and vision benefits
401(k) with matching
Free lunch and snacks
Khan Lab School tuition discount
Start Date: Fall, 2019
Location: Mountain View, CA
Number of Positions to be Filled: 1
To qualify, please provide a resume/CV demonstrating the required experience and skills and a letter of interest. Successful candidates will have a demonstrated familiarity with the Sal Khan’s school model outlined in his book The One World Schoolhouse. From there, we require the completion of pre-interview work assignment – a thoughtful response to which will require investing 1-2 hours of preparation time. We find both the willingness to invest this time, coupled with the insights we derive from the answers, help us find the truly capable and passionate candidates. Qualified applicants who pass this review will be phone screened and finalists will conduct interviews with our team.
Khan Lab School is an EOE and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, place of national origin, sex, age, veteran status, sexual orientation or physical handicap in its employment practice.