The Baldwin School is seeking a dynamic, collaborative leader to serve as its Director of Middle School, to start on July 1, 2020.
Founded in 1888, the mission of the Baldwin School is to develop talented girls into confident young women with vision, global understanding and the competency to make significant and enduring contributions to the world. The School nurtures students’ passion for intellectual rigor in academics, creativity in the arts and competition in athletics, forming women capable of leading their generation while living balanced lives. The new Director of Middle School will be instrumental in inspiring a division that fulfills this mission and advances a forward-looking program that prioritizes interdisciplinary and authentic, project-based learning, tailored for girls. She or he will report directly to the Head of School and is a member of the School’s senior leadership team.
As leader of the Middle School, the Director will be responsible for advancing the academic, programmatic, administrative and cultural health of our grade 6 through 8 classes. She or he will provide vision and direction to the Middle School Faculty, oversee daily operations and programs for the division and guide the overall curriculum and pedagogical practice in the Middle School. As a key member of Baldwin’s 10-person leadership team, the Director of Middle School works with fellow administrators to shape and implement school-wide strategic objectives that reflect Baldwin’s mission and values; embrace its core culture of collaboration, community and inclusivity; and ensure innovative practices thrive throughout the three divisions. Together with our Department Chairs, the Director manages the professional development of our Middle School faculty, recruiting, supervising and mentoring over 25 talented educators. She or he provides leadership and direction for the Middle School with the support of three grade Deans, the Baldwin Academic Support and Enrichment team and our School Counselor and an administrative assistant.
The ideal candidate will be an experienced, committed educator, with a proven record of leadership, who is excited by the opportunity to inspire and shape a division of exceptional educators dedicated to providing an unparalleled educational experience to our Middle School students.
In addition, she/he will:
• Embrace and model The Baldwin School’s mission and core values;
• Work effectively with all constituencies, cultivating a strong sense of community and culture;
• Foster a diverse, inclusive and supportive environment for students, faculty, staff and families;
• Demonstrate transparency, sensitivity, integrity and respect for others;
• Promote innovation, creativity and best pedagogical practices as related to our academics, co-curricular programs and use of educational technology;
• Have extensive knowledge of adolescent girls’ developmental and educational needs;
• Be skilled in recruiting, mentoring, evaluating and retaining talented teachers;
• Help shape our future community by actively engaging in all aspects of our admissions process;
• Be an effective, dynamic communicator and have exceptional relationship-building skills;
• Lead by effectively balancing collaboration and decisiveness, with the best interest of our students always in mind;
• Be an approachable and accessible administrator who listens well, displays a genuine interest in others and builds authentic relationships;
• Be an enthusiastic, highly visible community member who actively engages in the life of the School by being present in the classrooms, after-school programs and campus events.
The ideal candidate will have an advanced degree, at least 10 years of progressive leadership experience and a dedication to continuous personal and professional growth. She or he should be highly committed to all-girls education.
The school offers a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package.
All inquiries will be treated confidentially. Interested candidates should submit a letter of interest, personal statement of educational philosophy, resume and three references.
About Baldwin | A Pre-K – Grade 12 School for Girls
The Baldwin School, an independent college preparatory school, develops talented girls into confident young women with vision, global understanding and the competency to make significant and enduring contributions to the world. The
School nurtures our students’ passion for intellectual rigor in academics, creativity in the arts and competition in athletics, forming women capable of leading their generation while living balanced lives.