We are looking for teachers who are passionate about education, teaching, and learning. Alzar School is an accredited, non-profit semester high school for students in 10th and 11th grades in Idaho and Chile. We accomplish our mission to ‘build leaders who positively impact the world’ through the intersection of academics, outdoor adventure, and cultural immersion. Teachers teach one or more traditional content areas of science, math, history, English, Spanish, and electives in Capstone Leadership and Outdoor Adventure Activity. Teachers also serve as outdoor instructors for multi-day whitewater river trips and/or backpacking trips, both in North America (Idaho/Oregon) and Patagonia, Chile, where we spend approximately six weeks per semester. Additionally, teachers rotate through residential duties as we are a residential boarding school.
Teachers should be prepared to sign a two-year contract. Our school year runs early August to late May, with 3 weeks off over winter break. New hires begin in July for staff training. We accept applications on a rolling basis, recommended submission no later than Feb.1st for following school year. Candidates will be contacted in February or March as we hire for open positions. Questions may be directed to Director of Studies: firstname.lastname@example.org.
At least ONE of the following academic qualifications:
- Teaching certificate (or concrete plan to acquire one by May 1, 2020... see ABCTE program as one route)
- Education degree (undergraduate or graduate level)
- Master’s degree in content area
- 2+ years teaching experience
Professional/expert-level experience in ONE of the following:
- Whitewater rafting (up to class IV)
- Whitewater kayaking (up to class IV)
- Backpacking (6-7 days in remote locations)
- WFR, CPR
- Knowledge and experience with professional outdoor programming methods and practices.
- The physical ability to perform strenuous outdoor recreational activities in remote and rugged mountains or water based environments.
- Spanish proficiency (not required)
- Experience working with teenagers
- Experience leading international programming
- Experience with residential or boarding programs
- Proficiency with a variety of computer software and applications, to include some of the following (but not limited to): all Google apps
About Alzar School
Alzar School is a semester school for students in 10th and 11th grades. Students are highly motivated teenagers who want to make a difference in the world. Alzar School’s campus is in Cascade, Idaho, but each semester includes extended cultural immersion in Chile. Faculty travel with the students to Chile, living and working there for six weeks each semester. The school uses honors and AP-level coursework, outdoor adventure, and international travel to challenge students. Our mission at Alzar School is “We build leaders who positively impact the world.”