Location: Miami, Florida
Type: Full Time
Director of College and Academic Advising
Centner Academy is a progressive, independent ‘happiness’ school that combines a deep commitment to emotional intelligence, mindfulness, and happiness with a challenging curriculum featuring language immersion, entrepreneurial thinking, problem solving, creativity, and collaboration. Using a strengths-based approach to learning, all Centner Academy students and teachers have opportunities to do what they love across the curriculum through project- and problem-based learning. Centner Academy’s mission is to promote:
- Happy, thriving students
- Rigorous curriculum that engages students
- Mindfulness and emotional intelligence
- Effective foreign language acquisition
- Project- and problem-based learning
- Entrepreneurial thinking
- Personalized learning journeys
- Habits to optimize neurodevelopment
Centner Academy’s curriculum philosophy was developed by a team of seasoned educators to meet the needs and expectations of globally minded families. Our intention is to shape future adults who are not only confident and poised to succeed, but who also have the character and skills needed to make the world a better, kinder, and more loving place for all.
We are seeking a dynamic, dedicated, and talented individual with a background in career counseling and youth development to join our newly established High School. This individual has a drive to work in a fast-paced environment, a willingness to learn, and a proven track record focusing on the major aspects of the career counseling and college planning/placement process. This individual plays a critical role in supporting students and families with the mechanics of the college process. The ideal candidate is highly skilled and able to administer the college exposure, search, fit, application, and selection process with students, while also educating families about the process. This person is expected to have excellent knowledge of a range of colleges/universities across the country.
- Employs several venues to reach students and families, including individual conferences with students and families, larger group presentations in workshops, classrooms, and college visits.
- Maintains a resource library of print & electronic information of college catalogs, college guides, scholarship information, and financial aid application.
- Planning and aligning programs to ensure the success for all students.
- Establishes and maintains college counseling web information.
- Directs communication via newsletters, information packets, phone and email with students and families.
- Develop and facilitate programming to expose and prepare participants for college, and life outside of lower education.
- Lead the college application process for college-bound participants.
- Develop workshops, events and trips that will support, inspire, and inform participants about the skills needed to pursue higher education and other opportunities (trips, panels, and college tours/fairs).
- Connect participants with relevant resources important for postsecondary success (SAT courses, college prep mentors, additional tutoring, school/placement visits, etc.).
- Provide differentiated college prep support to participants according to their individual plans, in small group and one-on-one settings.
- Develop interactive lessons that will assist youth to develop academic techniques: study skills, organization skills, time management.
- Develop and lead parent workshop series on post-secondary options and process.
- Work with pre/post enrollment as it relates to retention and alumni services.
- Aid in maintaining student digital portfolios, to best align with academic pursuits.
Bachelor's or Master’s Degree in applicable field of study/education from an accredited college or university.
5+ years of experience in the college admissions process, either guiding high school students in their application process or serving at the college level in admissions or career counseling.
Dedication and expertise in counseling a range of students in the career planning and college process, including those whose families have long been oriented toward college as well as those for whom college application and attendance is new and unfamiliar.
Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Ability to work collaboratively and effectively with students, parents, administrators, colleagues, community, and other school community staff.
Proven ability to serve as a role model in an after-school setting.
Ability to connect with youth, provide needed support and demonstrate patience and maintain a positive attitude.
Demonstrated ability to work individually and as part of a team.
Strong technology/computer skills and comfort with student information/customer relations systems such as Naviance, Copilot, and PowerSchool;
Demonstrated experience with experiential or project-based learning.
ASCA Certification or similar.
Desire to learn new technologies to better drive decisions, based on student data.
Excellent knowledge and understanding of the teaching and learning process.
Demonstrated success in effectively solving challenging problems through a positive, collaborative approach.
Evidence of high levels of organizational skills and the ability to work closely and effectively with students, parents, and colleagues in the school.
Readiness to continue building the school’s career planning and college counseling program, and the ability to advocate for the school & its students in the college process.
Ability to work with diverse populations.
Providing personalized college counseling to students and their families as well as leading one-on-one college counseling sessions with students;
Digital fluency for the creation of informational presentations to parents/families.
To apply, please submit a copy of your resume to email@example.com. Please also provide professional references (name and full contact information) with application. Compensation is competitive and based on experience. This is a year-round position. Staff training often occurs in summer months.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We believe every employee has the right to work in an environment free from all forms of unlawful discrimination. It is the policy of the school that employment decisions for all applicants and employees will be made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, genetic information, marital status, veteran status, disability, or other characteristics protected under local, state, or federal law. No employee will be retaliated against for raising concerns under this policy. We seek each employee’s contribution and assistance in helping us maintain equal employment opportunity.
Connections working at Centner Academy
About Centner Academy
Centner Academy is a progressive, independent ‘happiness’ school that combines a deep commitment to emotional intelligence, mindfulness, and happiness with a challenging curriculum featuring language immersion, entrepreneurial thinking, problem solving, creativity, and collaboration. Using a strengths-based approach to learning, all Centner Academy students and teachers have opportunities to do what they love across the curriculum through project- and problem-based learning. Centner Academy’s mission is to promote:•Happy, thriving students•Rigorous curriculum that engages students•Mindfulness and emotional intelligence•Effective foreign language acquisition•Project- and problem-based learning•Entrepreneurial thinking•Personalized learning journeys•Habits to optimize neurodevelopmentCentner Academy’s curriculum philosophy was developed by a team of seasoned educators to meet the needs and expectations of globally minded families. Our intention is to shape future adults who are not only confident and poised to succeed, but who also have the character and skills needed to make the world a better, kinder, and more loving place for all.