Location: Troy, New York
Type: Full Time
Emma Willard School seeks an enthusiastic and dedicated teacher to work as a full-time Mathematics Instructor starting in the 2023-2024 academic school year. The instructor should be prepared to teach across multiple levels and will collaborate regularly with other teachers of all levels. The instructor will work with the department chair and Math faculty to ensure an integrated and cohesive curriculum. Additionally, the instructor will be encouraged to use creative and innovative teaching practices. This person will demonstrate a commitment to bringing out the absolute best in each student, open collaboration with colleagues, and meaningful professional development.
The instructor will participate in the active review and creation of scope and sequence for mathematics courses while using the Emma Willard School academic program pillars of intellectual flexibility, purpose and community, and equity and justice as a guide. The Math faculty use a variety of tools and techniques, including but not limited to experiential learning and reflection practices, to help students be confident learning mathematics. Dedication to the holistic wellness of students is essential, as is the ability and comfort in frequent communication with students’ advisors and parents. Emma Willard School faculty regularly participate in community-wide professional development and each faculty member works with their department chair to develop a plan for their personal professional growth. Faculty are given the opportunity to regularly participate in professional learning through the school’s Center for Teaching and Learning.
As a boarding school, Emma Willard asks all teachers to contribute to the overall life of the school. These responsibilities will include helping with dorm life and co-curricular activities (e.g. coaching, after school physical education, advising a student activity group, etc) that fill the needs of the school and, ideally, intersect with the interest or expertise of the instructor.
We seek someone who is committed to and willing to navigate today’s changing and diverse landscape. This individual will help the school promote and nurture diversity, equity, and inclusion. The School encourages candidates from under-represented groups and individuals who have demonstrated experience with diverse populations who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the academic community through their research, teaching, and/or service to apply.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
- Teach four sections of mathematics per year
- Create and administer appropriate assessments as consistent with departmental philosophy and practice
- Grade assessments and offer substantive feedback within a timely manner
- Keep accurate records of assignments, attendance, and grades on an online learning management system
- Compose student comments quarterly or as assigned
- Provide individual support to students as needed
- Communicate with students’ advisors, parents, and/or houseparents as appropriate
- Participate in school-wide functions and events
- Attend and contribute to departmental, faculty, and faculty/staff meetings
- Participate in weekend duty four times per year
- Lead co-curricular activities (coaching, advising, etc.)
- Be a positive force in the lives of students
- Bachelor's degree in mathematics, or a related field
- Be a strong advocate for the Emma Willard School mission
- Demonstrate excellence in course design, planning, and implementation
- Demonstrate a commitment to laboratory safety and best-practices in the lab
- Have a strong desire to contribute to a collaborative course-level team
- Have a good working knowledge of Google, Microsoft Word, comfort with online learning-management systems, and enthusiasm for experimenting with learning technologies
- Patience, enthusiasm, and the ability to manage priorities and meet deadlines
- Demonstrate a commitment to professional growth and development
- Demonstrate superior judgment
- Have a valid driver's license
- Advanced degree in mathematics or in education
- 3 years of mathematics-teaching experience
- Knowledge and experience of how to teach math online
- Experience using experiential learning practices such as project-based learning, problem-based learning, and community engagement in a mathematics classroom
We seek to identify, recruit, and develop employees who bring a diversity of experiences, perspectives, talents, and backgrounds. Emma is an equal opportunity employer.
Emma Willard School requires employees to be fully vaccinated with the exception of qualifying exemptions. You will need to submit a resume, cover letter, and teaching statement to be considered for the position.
Please apply through the school's Career Center website.
Connections working at Emma Willard School
About Emma Willard School
Since 1814, Emma Willard School has been one of the nation's leading college preparatory boarding and day schools for young women. At Emma Willard, every possible resource is dedicated to developing in students the values and skills that form the foundation of a life of accomplishment, leadership, and fulfillment. These include a love for the life of the mind, a commitment to service, courage and confidence, grace and creativity, and collaboration and friendship. Known for its rigor, the school promotes intellectual curiosity and disciplined study habits through a challenging curriculum distinguished by a wide array of advanced placement courses and electives. It also promotes active involvement in the life of the campus and off-campus communities through a rich co-curricular program. In all they do, students are both challenged and closely supported by an outstanding faculty and staff. The school's extraordinary physical plant is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and provides a breathtakingly beautiful yet state-of-the-art setting for learning and living. Throughout its history, Emma Willard has been committed to enrolling a diverse student body from across the Ca...pital Region, across the country, and around the world. This commitment is honored by significant expenditures in financial aid to assist families who might not otherwise have the opportunity to provide an extraordinary secondary education for their daughters.