Location: Potomac, Maryland
Type: Full Time
4 Year Degree
Bullis School seeks an Upper School Mathematics Teacher to contribute to our vibrant learning community starting in the 2023-2024 academic year. Candidates should be capable of, and interested in, teaching a wide range of students and math courses including on-level, honors, and AP classes from Algebra 1 through AP Statistics and AP Calculus. This position includes primarily teaching courses in math as well as an elective in the Technology and Engineering Department such as computer science, STEM research methods, engineering, CAD, or robotics based on interest and expertise. Responsibilities include teaching five classes, contributing to department initiatives, and advising. Additional opportunities to supervise after-school activities are based on need and interest. This is a 10-month position reporting to the Upper School Math Department Chair. To view the full job description click here.
The Bullis Upper School Math department emphasizes collaboration and curiosity both in the classroom and among colleagues. As members of a supportive and positive department culture, teachers foster a spirit of exploration and growth while utilizing methods designed to help students learn. The department employs the themes of making connections, communication, and dealing with unique problems to drive curricular development and design.
Bullis is a community that welcomes new people and ideas, embraces diversity, and shares a common vision of kindness, challenge, and reflective learning. Bullis is proud of its culture of innovation and growth and supports faculty with ample professional development opportunities that include a commitment to Equity and Inclusion training and education. Bullis School is an independent coeducational college preparatory day school for students in grades K-12 situated on a beautiful 102-acre campus in Potomac, MD, and is home to a full range of state-of-the-art facilities for learning, arts, discovery, and athletics. To learn more about teaching and learning at Bullis School please click here.
Qualities of a Bullis Math Teacher
- An appreciation and respect for high school-aged students as learners and people, through challenging and joyful moments alike
- Commitment and knowledge to work with, teach, and lead groups of diverse individuals in respectful, equitable, and inclusive ways
- Good cheer, humor, and warmth, balanced by professionalism and sound judgment
- An ability to create learning environments that encourage risk-taking and deep learning for students with a range of learning abilities using a variety of methods and technology
- Detail-oriented, with the capacity to effectively and efficiently manage numerous small and large tasks
- Use of reflection and feedback aimed at continued growth in the field of teaching and working with young people
- Development and delivery of highly engaging, innovative lessons in course-aligned teams
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mathematics, Education, or related field (required)
- Master’s Degree in Mathematics, Education, or related field (preferred)
- Minimum of three years of teaching experience in secondary education (preferred)
- Experience teaching in a technology-rich environment (preferred)
- Teaching certificates are not required
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and current resume along with an application through the Bullis Career site. The Search Committee will begin reviewing candidate materials at the end of March and will begin contacting qualified candidates in April. We will keep applicants informed of their status throughout the process.
Bullis School is committed to staff diversity, equality, and continued professional growth. Bullis School provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Bullis School complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.
Connections working at Bullis School
About Bullis School
Bullis School is an independent coeducational college preparatory day school for students in grades K-12 situated on a beautiful 102-acre campus in Potomac, MD, and is home to a full range of state-of-the-art facilities for learning, arts, discovery, and athletics.