Location: Pebble Beach, California
Type: Full Time
Stevenson School is a PK-12 co-educational, college-preparatory, boarding and day school with enrollment of 770 students on two campuses in beautiful Central Coast California. The Upper Division campus (Grades 9-12) is located in Pebble Beach. The Lower/Middle Campus (Grades PK-8) is in nearby Carmel-by-the-Sea. Stevenson is a mission driven school that aims to help students shape joyful lives while instilling a passion for learning and achievement to prepare them for success in school and beyond. The core values of the community are safety, trust, respect, belonging, and inclusion.
In keeping with Stevenson’s core values, we seek candidates who demonstrate a commitment to equity and inclusion. Stevenson is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by law. Candidates from underrepresented backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Stevenson is pleased to offer transportation support and accommodations, as needed, along with an introduction to the local area, for those candidates who travel from outside of the region for on-campus employment interviews.
In addition to competitive salary, Stevenson is pleased to provide a comprehensive benefits package including Anthem Blue Cross health insurance plans and generous retirement plan contributions. Housing support is offered for eligible employees. Resources to support advanced degree work, as well as participation in professional conferences, workshops, summer study, and travel, are also available. Lunch is provided daily when school is in session.
Stevenson School is seeking a Spanish Teacher, Grades PK-4, to start August 2023. The ideal candidate will demonstrate an infectious and inspiring enthusiasm for language acquisition along with the ability to connect with students aged 4 - 10 and support a variety of learning styles while teaching in the target language. Stevenson students benefit from an early introduction to world language beginning in prekindergarten and participate in Spanish language classes 3-4 times per week through grade 4. The Spanish teacher will be a member of the faculty team on our Carmel campus. With six class sections and a total of 18-24 classes taught each week, the current schedule allows for a 70-minute prep each day.
All Stevenson faculty members support the School toward the following overriding goals.
- Help students to develop honor and integrity
- Teach students to engage productively and peacefully with others
- Nurture students’ ambitions and healthy pursuit of excellence
- Balance convention and innovation such that we remain true to our enduring values and relevant to the emerging needs of the present generation of students
In addition, all members of the Stevenson School community are expected to be:
- Philosophically aligned with the mission of the school
- Devoted to our tenets of scholarship, citizenship, global literacy, environmental stewardship, and civic engagement
- Honest, honorable, and empathetic
- Able to examine and be responsible for their beliefs and behavior, respectful of the consequences that attend both
- Willing to risk failure in the pursuit of wisdom
- Teach 6 sections of Spanish to students in grades PK - 4
- Be inclined toward critically-reflective practices across the full scope of craft, and favor a learner-centered approach to instruction
- Communicate with students, parents, and colleagues in a timely and professional manner
- Contribute talents and skills to the school community in additional capacities, such as coaching interscholastic sports teams or leading an afterschool program
- A bachelor’s degree in Spanish, elementary education, or related; master’s preferred
- A minimum of 3-years of previous Spanish teaching experience at the elementary level
- Experience or training in teaching for proficiency using acquisition-driven instruction, including experience with ACTFL’s proficiency guidelines
- Excellent classroom management skills
- Demonstrated confidence and aptitude with the use of instructional technology, such as Google Tools and related resources
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to connect with all members of the community
- Demonstrated interest in being part of a collaborative team
- Excellent organizational skills, attention to detail and commitment to accuracy in all aspects of work
- Ability to maintain absolute confidentiality and the integrity of all aspects of information disseminated within or external to the school community
- Commitment to being part of a diverse, equitable and inclusive school community
Interested candidates are invited to use the link provided to submit a resume and cover letter to:
Susan Fahey Khanna, Director of Human Resources
Connections working at Stevenson
Founded in 1952, Stevenson School is a selective co-educational boarding and day school with 750 students and 30 buildings on 50 acres of land and two campuses. The 500-student upper division, comprised of grades 9-12, is located on the Pebble Beach Campus, where about 60% of students reside in six faculty-supervised dormitories; the lower and middle divisions, totaling 250 students in grades PK-8, are located on the Carmel Campus.
As an American school with a global sensibility, Stevenson is premised on a vision of education as the means by which we discover ourselves in the world and thus contribute to its transformation. We believe that one’s education is best pursued in the company of others, for others’ benefit as well as one’s own. Our Latin motto—Suaviter in modo, fortiter in re (Gentle in manner, resolute in action)—inspires humility and perseverance. Our mission includes three aims: to prepare students for success in college and beyond, to foster their passion for learning and achievement, and to help them shape a joyful life.
In keeping with this project, Stevenson seeks to:
•Train students in critical academic, intellectual, social, and emotional skills;
•H...elp students to develop honor and integrity;
•Teach students to engage productively and peacefully with others;
•Nurture students’ ambitions and healthy pursuit of excellence;
•Balance convention and innovation such that we remain true to our enduring values and relevant to the emerging needs of the present generation of students.
We expect all members of our community to be:
•Devoted to our tenets of scholarship and citizenship;
•Honest, honorable, and empathetic;
•Able to examine and be responsible for their beliefs and behavior, respectful of the consequences that attend both;
•Willing to risk failure in the pursuit of wisdom;
•Committed to global literacy, environmental stewardship, and civic engagement.
Stevenson offers its students, faculty, and staff a values-driven community experience influenced by the distinctive beauty, ecological biodiversity, and contemplative culture of the Central Coast.