Location: Cinnaminson, New Jersey
Type: Full Time
Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Benefits at WFS:
Medical, Dental, Vision, Long Term Disability, and Life, Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
Need-based Responsive Tuition available for Employee Children
School Holidays and Paid Time Off
403(b) Retirement Plan
Opportunities at WFS: Westfield is committed to each employee’s professional growth and development. Westfield Friends School seeks to help employees stay current in their fields and advance in terms of their professional development through opportunities such as:
Participation in a professional development program featuring internal and external facilitators and experts.
Funding for professional organization memberships
Sponsorship to attend and present at professional conferences, panels, and forums
Financial assistance for employees seeking advanced degrees and coursework to support their professional growth
Partnership in a new faculty orientation and peer coaching
4 Year Degree
Westfield Friends School seeks a talented, experienced educator interested in re-creating the World Language Program at Westfield Friends School. Westfield is in a multi-year process of re-imaging its academic program in line with its mission. While Spanish is the preferred language, Westfield is open to considering qualified candidates whose target language would be Arabic or Chinese. The successful candidate will develop a creative, engaging, and stimulating classroom program that introduces the target language to students in grades PreK-5. The World Language teacher will implement a program that entails a high level of collaboration among students and includes interdisciplinary. Preference will be given to candidates who have had meaningful experiences creating projects with colleagues.
The qualified candidate will have world language teaching experience at the elementary level. The candidate will align their students' learning goals with ACTFL’s Five Cs for World Language Standards. The successful candidate will have sound pedagogical skills, highly developed writing and organizational skills, and the desire to build positive and meaningful relationships with students in a manner consistent with our mission-based, child-centered, and developmentally appropriate curriculum. All applicants must be prepared to adopt Westfield’s Project Based Learning approach. Candidates should have experience working in a diverse setting and demonstrate a commitment to co-creating a racially just and inclusive learning community.
World Language Teacher Responsibilities: (Spanish preferred though Arabic and Chinese will be considered):
- Teach students all areas of the ACTFL standards: Communication, Culture, Connections, Comparisons, and Communities
- Work with colleagues to extend language learning into general education classrooms.
- Develop a vertically integrated, spiraling world language program
- Conduct research on teaching methods, materials, and language games that can be used in class.
- Organize activities and demonstrations of learning where students can practice and showcase their language skills.
- Monitor students’ progress by writing reports and grading assessments.
World Language Teacher Requirements:
- A bachelor’s degree in a related educational field is required for this teaching position. An advanced degree is preferred but not required.
- Native language/heritage language speaker preferred but not required.
- Proven written and verbal proficiency in the target language.
- Two or more years of elementary school teaching experience. Independent school experience preferred.
- Strong interpersonal as well as written and verbal communication skills.
- A demonstrated commitment to enhancing an inclusive school community based on cultural competence, commitment to social justice, and respect for all voices
- Proficiency in Google Suite for schools.
- Strong affinity for the mission of Westfield Friends School and an educational philosophy consistent with the school’s Quaker beliefs.
Potential Additional Opportunities: For candidates desiring a full-time position the following are other areas of expertise Westfield Friends School is seeking:
- Learning Support Specialist to provide learning support and enrichment for students in grades Kindergarten through 8th grade. Expertise in intervention and enrichment strategies for mathematics and literacy. Familiarity with IEP and 504 plans. A general knowledge of brain-based research and familiarity with learning profiles and educational diagnoses.
- Reading Specialist with either Wilson Reading System Level I certification or Orton Gillingham Certified Level certification.
- Assistant Teacher to support the Lead Teacher by helping to create a caring and safe environment for the children. The Assistant Teacher is responsible for implementing developmentally appropriate activities based on the children’s interests and needs under the direction of the Lead Teachers. The Assistant Teacher must be able to communicate, actively listen, and work well with others in a team environment.
- Teach one or more sections of Middle School Language Arts
- Extended Day Teacher to support students in the afterschool program. Supervise and engage in activities for students ages Preschool 2 to 8th grade during the afterschool program.
Interested, qualified candidates should send a cover letter, resume, three professional references, and educational philosophy, including an outline of your professional development and/or belief statement in the areas of diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging to: Dr. Margaret Haviland, Head of School. firstname.lastname@example.org
Connections working at Westfield Friends School
About Westfield Friends School
Westfield Friends School is an independent, Quaker, co-educational, preschool to grade 8 school located minutes from Philadelphia in Cinnaminson, NJ. Situated on a beautiful 8-acre campus, Westfield’s committed faculty and staff believe the world we seek for children begins here.