Location: Rye, New York
Type: Part Time
Rye Country Day School is seeking a .8 FTE Upper School French/Spanish teacher to begin in August of 2023. Rye Country Day School is a coeducational, Prek-12, college preparatory school located in Westchester County, New York dedicated to providing students with an excellent education using both traditional and innovative approaches. We are actively committed to creating and sustaining a school community that is nurturing, supportive, diverse, and inclusive, one in which all students can participate fully and achieve their maximum potential through academic, athletic, creative, and social endeavors. We expect and promote moral responsibility and strive to develop strength of character within a respectful school community.
Specific responsibilities of the position include:
- Teaching three sections of Upper School French and Spanish of varied levels
- Collaborating with colleagues to develop a dynamic curriculum that fosters a love of language and culture
- Developing daily lessons that produce a high-level of student engagement in a student-centered environment
- Fostering meaningful discussions in an immersive classroom about diverse cultures and languages
- Grading student assignments and providing timely, constructive feedback of their work
- Regularly writing reports that evaluate student performance and demonstrate knowledge of students’ experiences
- Participating in faculty and departmental meetings, field trips, and special activities
- Seeking out and participating in professional growth opportunities and embracing a growth mindset
- Bachelor’s degree required; Masters degree or higher preferred
- 3-5 years of classroom experience with language instruction
- Fluency in both French and Spanish
- Cultural knowledge of both the French and Spanish speaking worlds
- A knowledge of current best practices for teaching the acquisition of a Modern Language with professional development in this area
- Excitement for working with Upper School students
- Excellent oral, written, and organizational skills
- Comfort with technology, including a 1:1 laptop program and online course management system; familiarity with Zoom and hybrid/online teaching
- A well-developed sensitivity, knowledge, and understanding of the diverse backgrounds of community members; a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Ability to support the extracurricular life of the school
- Genuine excitement for and ability to work with students, faculty, staff, and parents
RCDS seeks faculty and staff who support our mission to foster a lifelong passion for learning, understanding, and service in an ever-changing world, and who share our commitment to creating and sustaining a vibrant, thriving, and inclusive multicultural learning community. The school is committed to providing invigorating and supportive work experiences for its diverse community of employees. Faculty and staff are offered meaningful opportunities for professional development, growth, and leadership; highly competitive salaries; and extensive benefits. RCDS is committed to diversity and inclusion throughout the community and curriculum. Please visit our website-http://www.ryecountryday.org – to learn more about the school’s rigorous curriculum, values, and strategic initiatives.
Rye Country Day School is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all federal, state, and local laws, which prohibit discrimination in employment because of race, color, national origin, citizenship, age, sex, religion, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, and veteran status.
Interested candidates should apply by submitting a resume and cover letter via the following link: https://rcds.workable.com/.