Location: Worcester, Massachusetts
Type: Full Time
We are looking for a teacher who is committed to the ideals and joys of teaching middle school students and who can inspire a love of learning in their students.
They will also understand the value of working cooperatively and collaboratively with adults in a team-based setting as well as have the ability to work independently. Flexibility and a commitment to your own learning are integral to success working with this age level and in this setting!
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND KEY OBJECTIVES
- Teach four Middle School classes
- Develop units and lessons that support the goals of the Department and the Middle School program.
- Maintain discipline in accordance with the student handbook and team and division agreements.
- Provide appropriate feedback on student work and in term reports.
- Complete grading, comments and progress reports in a timely manner.
- Serve as the academic and developmental advisor to a small group of middle school students.
- Lead two student activities.
- Attend required meetings (team, faculty, department, parent).
- Fulfill duties of supervising lunch, recess, and social activities (chaperone at least 2 Middle School social activities each semester).
- Maintain classroom and shared spaces as conducive to teaching, learning, and working.
- Maintain daily student attendance and adhere to tardiness procedures.
- Attend and participate in school trips.
- Maintain mature and age appropriate judgment and boundaries.
- Follow accident & illness procedures.
- Participate in all safety drills, including fire, lockdown and evacuation.
- Represent the school and what it stands for positively at public events, admissions events, community events, development events, etc., some of which take place outside of the regular school day and calendar.
- Develop and sustain relationships with colleagues that benefit their students and further one another’s professional growth.
- Develop and sustain relationships with parents that support each student's well-being and increasing autonomy.
- Serve as a role model for students and colleagues.
- Affirm and defend the dignity and worth of each member of the community and maintain an environment that fosters respect.
- Other duties as assigned by the Division Head and Department Chair
- Minimum: Bachelor’s degree
- Preferred: Master’s degree
- at least 2-3 years’ experience in teaching in an academic setting at the middle school level.
- scaffolding and differentiation of content and skills, including executive functions.
- classroom organization and management.
- innovative and project-based curriculum design and pedagogy.
- multicultural curriculum design and pedagogy.
- collaboration with colleagues.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- demonstrated ability to prepare cohesive teaching units and daily lesson plans.
- knowledge of best practices in multicultural curriculum and pedagogy.
- demonstrated skill in working with students and colleagues from diverse backgrounds.
- ability to apply best practices for integrating technology into curriculum and pedagogy.
- ability to implement problem-based learning and assessment.
- an understanding of the value of working cooperatively and collaboratively with adults in a team-based setting and the ability to do so.
- ability to work independently.
- ability to communicate tactfully, thoughtfully, and in modes appropriate to the audience.
- a commitment to one’s own learning and professional development
- Middle School faculty are supervised in curriculum and pedagogy through the partnership of the respective Department Chair and the Director of the Middle School.
- Middle School faculty are supervised in the execution of critical duties by the Director of the Middle School.
- Work full-time and maintain regular and predictable attendance.
- Ability to move throughout the campus during all weather conditions.
- Ability to effectively communicate in person and digitally with faculty, staff, parents, students and external contacts.
Connections working at Worcester Academy
About Worcester Academy
Worcester Academy exists to instill in its students the desire to learn throughout life, to engage passionately with the world around them, and to be honorable persons of strong and resourceful character. We are a community—curious, thoughtful, generous, and thriving in our diversity. We embrace each of our core values as essential to the mission of Worcester Academy and as testimony of our beliefs and commitments.