Location: Seattle, Washington
Type: Full Time
Salary: $49,000 - $86,000
The Valley School offers salaries that are competitive with comparable schools in the Seattle area and are commensurate with experience and credentials. Salaries for lead teachers range from $49,000 to $86,000. We also offer an excellent benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurance, and Paid Time Off, plus frequent opportunities for professional development.
To apply, please email a cover letter, a current resume, and contact information for three references to Alice Baggett, Director of Teaching and Learning, at email@example.com
Subject Line: The Valley School Fifth Grade Teacher
4 Year Degree
Position Title: Lead Teacher
Position Type: Full Time, Exempt
Term: August 2023 through June 2024
Consistent with the Valley School’s Standards of Effective Teaching, the ideal candidate will:
- Model and respect the School’s Mission and Values
- Demonstrate a belief that all children can learn and recognize the different developmental stages, cultural backgrounds, learning styles, and passions that influence a child’s educational experience
- Use a variety of teaching strategies to meet the learning, social, and emotional needs of a wide range of diverse learners
- Design a clear, well-organized, well-balanced, and flexible curriculum that is responsive to the learning of each class and each child
- Create and effectively manage a positive and respectful classroom environment that promotes student learning while fostering kindness, self-expression, creativity, and respect for differences
- Set clear goals for student learning and use a variety of assessment tools to inform instruction and to provide frequent feedback to students about their progress
- Communicate with parents and colleagues about student growth in a clear, professional, and timely way
- Actively support colleagues and collaborate with other teachers and specialists to meet each student’s needs and to ensure the overall quality of education
- Engage regularly in opportunities for professional growth and model a growth mindset
- Participate actively in the life of The Valley School
In addition, the fifth grade teacher is responsible for helping students and families in the application process for middle school admission.
In experience and skills, the ideal candidate will have:
- A Bachelor’s Degree in education, preferably in early childhood and elementary education; Master’s and Washington State teaching certificate preferred
- Three years of experience as a classroom teacher
- Experience in developing and writing curriculum
- Experience in assessing student learning, using a variety of measurements and tools
- Flexibility and adaptability to meet the needs of a wide range of learners
- Experience in working with a diverse group of students and families
- Strong communication skills, in both writing and speaking
- Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues and families
Connections working at The Valley School of Seattle
About The Valley School of Seattle
The Valley School is a progressive, pre-kindergarten through 5th grade, independent school that carefully attends to the individual development of children through intellectual exploration, community, and play.
We believe childhood is to be celebrated rather than rushed. It is a special time of exploration, unsuppressed creativity, friendship, and wonder. By understanding and respecting childhood, children — brimming with curiosity and imagination—grow into whole-hearted learners, practiced in thoughtful inquiry and critical thinking.
Our Mission and Values
At The Valley School, we ignite children’s natural passion for learning. Our students develop an academic foundation and become joyful learners through playful work, purposeful play, and the practice of community. Our school values include: celebration of childhood, collaboration, creativity, equity and inclusion, kindness, and respect for individuality.
Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Access (DEIA) Statement
The Valley School honors diversity, practices inclusion, and invites courageous conversations. We strive to create a community where each individual is valued, respected, and included. Though the journ...ey can be muddy – much like our playground – we aim to give every child the tools necessary to flourish.