Location: Houston, Texas
Type: Part Time
4 Year Degree
Duchesne Academy is looking for a part-time coach to lead our Debate program. The program currently has about a dozen participants and focuses on Public Forum debate.
- Tournament scheduling with a focus on primarily Public Forum debate.
- Organization and oversight of after-school meetings and practices.
- Supervise and judge at multiple weekend tournaments throughout the competition season as well as TFA State Tournament, Districts, Nationals, and Tournament of Championship as needed based on team qualifying to events.
- Plan, organize, and lead activities designed to promote academic, social, and emotional development in a supportive and engaging learning environment.
- Create an emotionally responsive, caring, positive, and accepting environment supportive of the individual development of each child and family.
- Supervise children and ensure a safe and loving environment including the ability to monitor and respond to events going on at all times in the classroom, outdoor play areas, and other areas of the campus.
- Adapt teaching methods and instructional materials to meet students varying needs and interests.
- Provide constructive feedback to parents.
Minimum Education/Prior Experience/Qualifications Required
In the performance of his/her duties, Employee shall be guided by the Goals and Criteria of the Sacred Heart and the Catholic Faith. Candidates must also possess:
- Bachelor’s Degree
- High level of competence using technology
- Experience in a PreK – 12 environment, preferably in independent schools is a plus
- Strong references to convey teaching abilities
- Successful completion of criminal offender record information and sexual offender registry information checks
- Current Safe Environment training
- Current CPR certification
- Excellent communication skills with attention to detail
- Punctuality and dependability
- Ability to maintain accurate records
- Adherence to all personnel policies, procedures and rules contained in the Duchesne Employee Handbook
- Treat parents as partners in their child's education
- Maintain productive relationships with other Duchesne faculty and staff, working closely with other Department Heads where applicable
- Maintain professional relationships with the Board of Trustees
- Possess strong people skills in order to be empathetic to children’s and parent’s needs
Tenets of Faculty Excellence
Each of our faculty members are committed to the following:
- Demonstrates an understanding of Catholic Identity, respects the tenets of Catholicism, and participates in the faith life of the School.
- Models acceptance of and respect for other faith and cultural traditions.
- Values and encourages interactive service as a life-long commitment.
- Creates an inviting environment which honors rigor and relevance, and promotes critical thinking, collaboration, and the creative use of the imagination.
- Demonstrates a passion for teaching or area of expertise and exhibits mastery of their respective discipline.
- Nurtures intellectual curiosity, engagement, and a life-long love of learning in all aspects of school life.
- Recognizes the individual needs of learners and varies teaching and learning strategies to encourage each girl to develop her talents and skills.
- Embraces the importance of the integration of technology into the curriculum; supports and promotes the ethical use of all forms of technology.
- Researches, reflects on, and adopts best practices to promote excellence in the classroom or area of expertise.
- Continually seeks professional growth through self-reflection, observations, collegial dialogue and professional development opportunities.
- Fulfills routine professional responsibilities in a thoughtful and timely manner.
- Works in partnership and open communication with parents and colleagues to ensure the well-being of the school and personal growth of each student.
- Contributes to a community culture that fosters thoughtful decision-making, honorable behavior, accountability, and a sense of hope.
Nothing in this Job Description restricts Duchesne’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this position at any time. This position is at will, which means that either the employee or Duchesne may terminate the employment relationship at any time, with or without notice and for any reason or no reason.
Duchesne Academy of the Sacred Heart is committed to providing equal opportunity in all of its employment practices, including selection, hiring, promotion, transfer, and compensation, to all qualified applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex (gender), age, national origin, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law.