Location: Houston, Texas
Type: Full Time
4 Year Degree
The Fine Arts Department is currently in need of an US Visual Art Teacher. This position is responsible for the Upper School Art curriculum and teaches classes from the introductory to advanced (AP) level.
- Teach US Art classes, including introductory classes, studio classes across a wide variety of media, and advanced classes such as AP Studio Art.
- Maintain our studios, darkroom, and on-campus gallery space, in cooperation with the MS and LS Art teachers.
- Supervise an US Advisory group.
- Attend and participate in campus events as assigned.
- Plan, organize, and lead activities designed to promote academic, social, and emotional development in a supportive and engaging learning environment.
- Create an emotionally responsive, caring, positive, and accepting environment supportive of the individual development of each child and family.
- Supervise children and ensure a safe and loving environment including the ability to monitor and respond to events going on at all times in the classroom, outdoor play areas, and other areas of the campus.
- Adapt teaching methods and instructional materials to meet students varying needs and interests.
- Attend faculty meetings, serve on committees as required, seek and attend professional development opportunities.
- Evaluate each student’s growth and performance.
- Provide constructive feedback to parents.
- Prepare and distribute report cards online.
Minimum Education/Prior Experience/Qualifications Required
In the performance of his/her duties, Employee shall be guided by the Goals and Criteria of the Sacred Heart and the Catholic Faith. Candidates must also possess:
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Teaching Certificate
- High level of competence using technology
- Experience in a PreK – 12 environment, preferably in independent schools is a plus
- Strong references to convey teaching abilities
- Successful completion of criminal offender record information and sexual offender registry information checks
- Current Safe Environment training
- Current CPR certification
- Excellent communication skills with attention to detail
- Punctuality and dependability
- Ability to maintain accurate records
- Adherence to all personnel policies, procedures and rules contained in the Duchesne Employee Handbook
- Treat parents as partners in their child's education
- Maintain productive relationships with other Duchesne faculty and staff, working closely with other Department Heads where applicable
- Maintain professional relationships with the Board of Trustees
- Possess strong people skills in order to be empathetic to children’s and parent’s needs
Tenets of Faculty Excellence
Each of our faculty members are committed to the following:
- Demonstrates an understanding of Catholic Identity, respects the tenets of Catholicism, and participates in the faith life of the School.
- Models acceptance of and respect for other faith and cultural traditions.
- Values and encourages interactive service as a life-long commitment.
- Creates an inviting environment which honors rigor and relevance, and promotes critical thinking, collaboration, and the creative use of the imagination.
- Demonstrates a passion for teaching or area of expertise and exhibits mastery of their respective discipline.
- Nurtures intellectual curiosity, engagement, and a life-long love of learning in all aspects of school life.
- Recognizes the individual needs of learners and varies teaching and learning strategies to encourage each girl to develop her talents and skills.
- Embraces the importance of the integration of technology into the curriculum; supports and promotes the ethical use of all forms of technology.
- Researches, reflects on, and adopts best practices to promote excellence in the classroom or area of expertise.
- Continually seeks professional growth through self-reflection, observations, collegial dialogue and professional development opportunities.
- Fulfills routine professional responsibilities in a thoughtful and timely manner.
- Works in partnership and open communication with parents and colleagues to ensure the well-being of the school and personal growth of each student.
- Contributes to a community culture that fosters thoughtful decision-making, honorable behavior, accountability, and a sense of hope.
Nothing in this Job Description restricts Duchesne’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this position at any time. This position is at will, which means that either the employee or Duchesne may terminate the employment relationship at any time, with or without notice and for any reason or no reason.
Duchesne Academy of the Sacred Heart is committed to providing equal opportunity in all of its employment practices, including selection, hiring, promotion, transfer, and compensation, to all qualified applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex (gender), age, national origin, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law.