Location: Houston, Texas
Type: Full Time
Duchesne Academy is looking for an innovative, forward-thinking educator to work with the Innovation Team to reimagine the future of the Duchesne Library Program.
- Promote innovation, creativity, and individual student choice through the selection and use of resources and programs in the library.
- Plan and direct the activities of library volunteers and student assistants.
- Participate in curriculum planning with the innovation team, within the academic departments, and with individual content teachers to ensure that the curricula include the full range of literacy skills necessary to meet content standards and develop lifelong learners as the students advance through all three divisions.
- Plan, organize, and teach division level coursework as needed.
- Work with faculty to order and distribute textbooks and e-books.
- Conduct training for faculty through campus professional development opportunities, coaching, and modeling in the use of instructional technology and electronic library resources in the classroom curriculum and technology integration.
- Collaborate with the Innovation department in planning, selecting, and supporting campus technology.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
Minimum Education/Prior Experience/Qualifications Required
Successful candidates are energetic, high-performers, committed to the school’s mission, who impress us with their drive, joy, initiative, and ability to work productively under multiple deadlines where unanticipated external and internal events can shift priorities. Candidates must also possess:
- A Master’s degree from a program accredited by the American Library Association (ALA), or from a master’s level program in library and information studies accredited or recognized by the appropriate national body of another country.
- Genuine affinity for working with children and families in an educational setting.
- Ability to make independent decisions along with maintaining the confidentiality of privileged and sensitive information.
- High level of competence using technology
- Experience in a PreK – 12 environment, preferably in independent schools is a plus.
- Strong references to convey your abilities.
- Successful completion of criminal offender record information and sexual offender registry information checks.
- Completion of Safe Environment Training through the Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston.
- Current CPR certification.
- Excellent communication skills with attention to detail.
- Punctuality and dependability.
- Ability to maintain accurate records.
- Adherence to all personnel policies, procedures, and rules contained in the Duchesne Faculty and Staff Handbook.
- Treat parents as partners in their child's education.
- Maintain productive relationships with other Duchesne faculty and staff.
- Possess strong people skills in order to be empathetic to children’s and parent’s needs.
- Leadership/Integrity – Effectively communicates the School’s shared purpose; builds trust among colleagues; is accountable; lives up to commitments.
- Team Player/Commitment to Cause – Understands the big picture and manages position’s areas of responsibility in a manner consistent with Duchesne’s agenda.
- Interpersonal Skills – Relates to employees, faculty, and other staff members in a cooperative manner that helps others to achieve their best.
- Productivity/Organizing/Planning – Meets deadlines, demonstrates effective use of time, and handles multiple assignments simultaneously.
- Willingness to Acknowledge Areas for Growth – Understands need for growth and is receptive to constructive feedback.
Tenets of Faculty Excellence
Each of our faculty members are committed to the following:
- Demonstrates an understanding of Catholic Identity, respects the tenets of Catholicism, and participates in the faith life of the School.
- Models acceptance of and respect for other faith and cultural traditions.
- Values and encourages interactive service as a life-long commitment.
- Creates an inviting environment which honors rigor and relevance, and promotes critical thinking, collaboration, and the creative use of the imagination.
- Demonstrates a passion for teaching or area of expertise and exhibits mastery of their respective discipline.
- Nurtures intellectual curiosity, engagement, and a life-long love of learning in all aspects of school life.
- Recognizes the individual needs of learners and varies teaching and learning strategies to encourage each girl to develop her talents and skills.
- Embraces the importance of the integration of technology into the curriculum; supports and promotes the ethical use of all forms of technology.
- Researches, reflects on, and adopts best practices to promote excellence in the classroom or area of expertise.
- Continually seeks professional growth through self-reflection, observations, collegial dialogue and professional development opportunities.
- Fulfills routine professional responsibilities in a thoughtful and timely manner.
- Works in partnership and open communication with parents and colleagues to ensure the well-being of the school and personal growth of each student.
- Contributes to a community culture that fosters thoughtful decision-making, honorable behavior, accountability, and a sense of hope.
Nothing in this Job Description restricts Duchesne’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this position at any time. This position is at will, which means that either the employee or Duchesne may terminate the employment relationship at any time, with or without notice and for any reason or no reason.
Duchesne Academy of the Sacred Heart is committed to providing equal opportunity in all of its employment practices, including selection, hiring, promotion, transfer, and compensation, to all qualified applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex (gender), age, national origin, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law.