Location: Houston, Texas
Type: Full Time
The Library Assistant works in the Lower, Middle, and Upper School libraries with the Librarians as a valued member of the team that assists in the management and supervision of the library programs and facilities for the Duchesne community.
- Work with the library team to maintain the library collection through checkouts, shelving, and completing an annual inventory of print and media materials.
- Assist in maintaining records in the library management system.
- Process library materials including labels, covers, and identification stamping.
- Work with the library team to assist patron with accessing library resources.
- Manage the Library Circulation Desk.
- Send overdue notices to students periodically.
- Work with the library team to maintain an orderly atmosphere in the library facility.
- Handle all incoming mail and distribute all periodicals and newspapers.
- Ensure all printers and library computers are operational and alert technical support when needed.
- Assist library team with keeping records of orders and invoices.
- Assist the library team with special events such as author visits and book fairs.
Minimum Education/Prior Experience/Qualifications Required
Successful candidates are energetic, high-performers, committed to the school’s mission, who impress us with their drive, joy, initiative, and ability to work productively under multiple deadlines, where unanticipated external and internal events can shift priorities. Candidates must also possess:
- GED or high school diploma.
- Genuine affinity for working with children and families in an educational setting.
- Ability to make independent decisions along with maintaining the confidentiality of privileged and sensitive information.
- High level of competence using technology.
- Experience with Library Management Software is a plus.
- Strong references to convey your abilities.
- Successful completion of criminal offender record information and sexual offender registry information checks
- Completion of Safe Environment Training through the Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston.
- Current CPR certification
- Excellent communication skills (interpersonal, presentational, and written), with timely and diplomatic delivery.
- Punctuality and dependability.
- Ability to maintain accurate records.
- Adherence to all personnel policies, procedures, and rules contained in the Duchesne Faculty and Staff Handbook.
- Treat parents as partners in their child's education.
- Maintain productive relationships with other Duchesne faculty and staff.
- Possess strong people skills in order to be empathetic to children’s and parent’s needs.
- Leadership/Integrity – Effectively communicates the School’s shared purpose; builds trust among colleagues; is accountable; lives up to commitments.
- Team Player/Commitment to Cause – Understands the big picture and manages position’s areas of responsibility in a manner consistent with Duchesne’s agenda.
- Interpersonal Skills – Relates to employees, faculty, and other staff members in a cooperative manner that helps others to achieve their best.
- Productivity/Organizing/Planning – Meets deadlines, demonstrates effective use of time, and handles multiple assignments simultaneously.
- Willingness to Acknowledge Areas for Growth – Understands need for growth and is receptive to constructive feedback.
Tenets of Faculty Excellence
Each of our faculty members are committed to the following:
- Demonstrates an understanding of Catholic Identity, respects the tenets of Catholicism, and participates in the faith life of the School.
- Models acceptance of and respect for other faith and cultural traditions.
- Values and encourages interactive service as a life-long commitment.
- Creates an inviting environment which honors rigor and relevance, and promotes critical thinking, collaboration, and the creative use of the imagination.
- Demonstrates a passion for teaching or area of expertise and exhibits mastery of their respective discipline.
- Nurtures intellectual curiosity, engagement, and a life-long love of learning in all aspects of school life.
- Recognizes the individual needs of learners and varies teaching and learning strategies to encourage each girl to develop her talents and skills.
- Embraces the importance of the integration of technology into the curriculum; supports and promotes the ethical use of all forms of technology.
- Researches, reflects on, and adopts best practices to promote excellence in the classroom or area of expertise.
- Continually seeks professional growth through self-reflection, observations, collegial dialogue and professional development opportunities.
- Fulfills routine professional responsibilities in a thoughtful and timely manner.
- Works in partnership and open communication with parents and colleagues to ensure the well-being of the school and personal growth of each student.
- Contributes to a community culture that fosters thoughtful decision-making, honorable behavior, accountability, and a sense of hope.
Nothing in this Job Description restricts Duchesne’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this position at any time. This position is at will, which means that either the employee or Duchesne may terminate the employment relationship at any time, with or without notice and for any reason or no reason.
Duchesne Academy of the Sacred Heart is committed to providing equal opportunity in all of its employment practices, including selection, hiring, promotion, transfer, and compensation, to all qualified applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex (gender), age, national origin, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law.