Location: Mill Valley, California
Type: Full Time
Full Health and Dental Insurance
4 Year Degree
Terra Marin School is a progressive TK-8th grade school that seeks to constructively and positively contribute to the personal and intellectual growth of our students. We are committed to exposing our students to a challenging, innovative curriculum in a collaborative, supportive community.
Terra Marin School Fast Facts:
Independent, co-educational school
Located in scenic Mill Valley just north of the Golden Gate Bridge by San Francisco (School provides a morning and afternoon shuttle from San Francisco)
Unique to our Program: One day of each week, the science teacher conducts outdoor science classes for the lower school in small groups of 10-15 students, as part of our lower school outdoor school activities.
Terra Marin School Middle School Science Teacher Description:?
Terra Marin School is seeking dedicated and experienced individuals to join our school teaching team as a Science Teacher who will teach 6th-Grade Earth Science, 7th-Grade Life Science, and 8th-Grade Chemistry four days a week in a school science classroom, and also offer science education to our lower school students in collaboration with other teachers one day each week in an outdoor setting at regional parks. We are looking for bright, enthusiastic, educators who believe in our vision and mission.
- Teach 6th-Grade Earth Science, 7th-Grade Life Science, and 8th-Grade Chemistry
- One day each week, lead lower school science classes in outdoor park settings in collaboration with other lower school teachers
- Collaborate with other teachers to design and implement an interdisciplinary, thematic-based, curriculum
- Use class discussion based teaching methods such as the Harkness Method (if you are unfamiliar, we can offer training)
- Overtly support and act in accordance with the school’s mission and values
- Demonstrate appropriate planning and preparation for instruction
- Develop and maintain a classroom atmosphere centered on intellectual inquiry and student engagement.
- Foster the classroom community through compassionate, and supportive practices
- Uphold professional standards of personal presentation, punctuality, professional courtesy, and discretion
- Honor the confidentiality of school and student information
- Communicate effectively with students, families, and colleagues
- Engage in self-reflection and professional development through goal setting, professional development opportunities, and ongoing dialog with other teachers.
Visit the webpage with our endearing team of faculty and staff https://www.terramarin.org/our-team-2022-23.
Our innovative methods were noticed by the media including NBC News: https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/keeping-up-in-the-classroom/thinking-outside-as-pandemic-persists-schools-look-to-the-great-outdoors-as-a-classroom/2338989/
- A passion for working with young people
- An openness to professional development and continuous learning
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- A pleasant approach to work
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- A minimum of 2-5 years of teaching experience
- Proficient technology skills including, but not limited to, Microsoft Office
- 2 Years minimum Science experience
TMS is an equal opportunity employer. Our goal is to be a diverse community of professionals that broadly reflects the people of the Bay Area, our students, and families. We aim to align our hiring process with our mission and institutional goals. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion or religious practices, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, citizenship status, national origin, age, ability status, military status, unemployment status or any other category protected by applicable local, state, or federal laws. ECFS takes affirmative action in support of its policy to employ and advance all qualified candidates.