Join the Stony Brook School Faculty for the 2023/24 School Year!
Established in 1922, The Stony Brook School is a co-ed, Christian, college preparatory (grades 7-12) boarding and day school situated on a beautiful 55-acre campus on the north shore of Long Island in New York. The Stony Brook School is known around the world as an institution that prizes both academic rigor and authentic Christian faith. With talented students from around the country and around the globe coming to us from a variety of faith backgrounds, potentially world-changing ministry opportunities abound.
We are seeking an English education leader to lead its nine-person English Department. This is a fantastic opportunity for the right leader to develop a world-class 7th-12th grade English program. With a demonstrated track record of training readers and writers, the School needs a visionary leader who can leverage these assets to take our program to new heights. The right leader will possess the rare combination of both vision and execution in the exercise of her or his leadership. Most importantly, this person will be supremely motivated by the desire to demonstrate that the Christian faith and the life of the mind have a vital and symbiotic relationship that ultimately enhances reasoning and creativity. While previous English department leadership is preferred, it is not required. Additionally, a Master's degree in English or Education is strongly preferred. The ideal candidate will also be conversant in theology and philosophy given the interdisciplinary nature of our academic program.
- Expert Teacher - demonstrated ability to teach writing, literature, and discussion using both innovative and inspiring methods of instruction
- Curriculum Designer - lead and realize the English Department's curricular vision, and work with the Academic Dean's office in creating mission-driven curricula that are intentionally integrated horizontally and vertically
- Teacher Developer - ability to help teachers grow in their craft, through encouragement, empowerment, effective feedback and evaluation, and facilitation of in-house professional development and teacher collaboration
- Servant Leader - communicate effectively and proactively with members of the English Department, actively seeking to both support and provide structure for them
- Maintain departmental resources through monitoring and ordering of supplies, including semi-annual ordering of books and novels for all English classes
- Teach three to four classes depending on other responsibilities
- Evaluate, cultivate, develop and support a department of nine people
- Participate in the hiring of new English Department faculty
- Help arrange the Pierson Curtis Lecture each academic year
- Attend department chair meetings
In addition, Stony Brook faculty members contribute to all aspects of boarding school life, including evening and weekend supervisory duties, coaching, chaperoning, advising, and overseeing meals. Compensation is commensurate with experience and education and includes housing, some utilities, meals, excellent health insurance, and a retirement plan.
The Stony Brook School is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind. All employment decisions at The Stony Brook School are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, national origin, age, citizenship, genetic predisposition, disability, veteran status or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate.
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.