Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Type: Full Time
William Penn Charter School is an all gender, Quaker, coeducational, pre-K-12 independent, day school in the East Falls neighborhood of Philadelphia. Established in 1689 by William Penn and members of the Religious Society of Friends, Penn Charter is a community guided by Quaker testimonies and the central belief that there is "that of God" in every person. A school community that honors difference, Penn Charter seeks to be a place where diversity is understood, represented and valued. Our curriculum embraces a plurality of cultures and celebrates an array of voices, instilling in us a deeper understanding and empathy for individuals in this community and the world.
With a demonstrated awareness and strong commitment to the values of the organization, the Staff Accountant will manage the school’s general ledger. The Staff Accountant serves as a contributing member of the business office team whose work is essential to the continued success of Penn Charter. The Staff Accountant takes ownership for the day-to-day financial operations and informed decision making as it relates to the financial statements. This scope of work includes organizing and managing monthly journal entries, variances to forecasted and budgeted expenses, along with gathering or monitoring information related to the efficiency of the business office. Discretion is critical in all roles at the school.
- Maintain all financial records for the school
- Prepare monthly budget to actual projections
- Prepare monthly departmental budget reports
- Monitor school wide expenditures and make recommendations for efficiencies
- Prepare draft budgets and budget projections
- Integrate the schools budget into the schools’ General Ledger
- Periodically update the schools forecasting model
- Provide draft financials and manage the schools annual audit
- Prepare 6 month financials
- Monitor the schools covenant compliance
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Demonstrated appreciation for diversity and ability to work well with faculty and staff
- Ability to act with integrity, professionalism, neutrality, and confidentiality
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent skills using Excel with proficiency in all other Microsoft Office applications
- Proficient in Google Suite software
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to accept and reflect on feedback
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer
- Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at times
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or closely related required
- Five years of relevant work experience
- Familiarity with Quaker Education and the Religious Society of Friends
- Experience with Blackbaud software
- Experience in working in a PK-12 school environment
Salary and benefits
- William Penn Charter School offers competitive salaries and comprehensive health coverage for employees and their eligible dependents.
- The annual salary range for this position is $65,000-$75,000.
- William Penn Charter School is also a Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program qualified employer.
Prior to hiring, we ask all potential employees to be vaccinated and protected from the life-threatening impact of COVID 19. At Penn Charter we have supported our community's efforts to eradicate the spread of COVID 19 by facilitating access to Covid-19 vaccinations for all current employees and eligible students.
William Penn Charter School provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Connections working at https://www.penncharter.com/about-us
William Penn Charter School is an all gender, Quaker, coeducational, PreK-12 independent day school in the East Falls neighborhood of Philadelphia. Established in 1689 by William Penn and members of the Religious Society of Friends, Penn Charter values scholarship and inquiry. Our school emphasizes academics, the arts, athletics, spiritual awareness and service learning.