Location: Charlotte, North Carolina
Type: Full Time
Position Title: Upper School, Mathematics Instructor
Department: Upper School
Reports To: Head of the Upper School
POSITION PURPOSE: The Upper School Mathematics Instructor is responsible for preparing curriculum, teaching Mathematics at the high school level, and creating a dynamic learning environment for students in the class.
- Prepare materials and classrooms for class activities.
- Prepare course materials such as syllabi, homework assignments, and handouts
- Manage the classroom to insure successful learning for every student
- Plan and conduct activities for a balanced program of instruction, demonstration, and work time that provides students with opportunities to observe, question, and investigate.
- Teach the curriculum reflecting knowledge of the subject matter and of specific learning styles of your students
- Instruct students individually and in groups, using various teaching methods such as lectures, discussions, and demonstrations.
- Initiate, facilitate, and moderate classroom discussions or activities
- Utilizes up-to-date technology into lesson plans and classroom management
- Establish clear objectives for all lessons, units, and projects, and communicate those objectives to students.
- Compile, evaluate and/or grade students' class work reflecting learning styles of students
- Maintain student attendance records, grades, and other required records
- Prepare, administer, and grade tests and assignments in order to evaluate students' progress.
- Maintain contact with students and parents with effective and regular communication
- Meet with parents and guardians to discuss their children's progress, and to determine their priorities for their children and their resource needs.
- Provide a variety of materials and resources for children to explore, manipulate and use, both in learning activities and in imaginative play.
- Participate in the planning, development and evaluation of curricula, course materials and methods of instruction.
- Grade level advisor after one year of employment
- Collaborate with other teachers and administrators in the development, evaluation, and revision of upper school programs.
- Maintain expertise in field through ongoing professional development demonstrating a commitment to field of study or knowledge of learning styles
- Attend professional meetings, educational conferences, and teacher training workshops in order to maintain and improve professional competence.
- Attend and assist with school sponsored functions in support of the CCDS community
- Other duties as designed
- Bachelor’s degree or post graduate work in subject matter
- Experience teaching across the math curriculum
- Special consideration given to candidates with experience teaching AP and/or IB courses
- Ability and desire to coach is also a plus
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Understanding technology in curriculum design and classroom presentation
It is the policy of Charlotte Country Day School not to discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law. This policy extends to recruitment, employment, promotion, demotion, transfer, layoff, termination, compensation, training, benefits and all other terms and conditions of employment.