Location: Paoli, Pennsylvania
Type: Full Time
4 Year Degree
Delaware Valley Friends School is a national leader in educating bright students in grades 1-12 with reading, writing, and other related learning differences. The school attracts students from across the Philadelphia area and is amidst several years of program expansion and enrollment growth. Students receive a comprehensive, research-based, college preparatory curriculum, individualized instruction, cutting-edge assistive technologies, and successful college placement, with an emphasis on metacognition and self-advocacy within a community based on Quaker values.
About you and the role
The assistant teacher is responsible for providing academic and social support to students in a multi-grade classroom of students in grades 1-5. Responsibilities may include: working one on one with a student on an academic task, teaching a lesson to a small class, and guiding students in resolving conflicts. This Teaching Assistant position is ideal for individuals beginning a career in education and/or in a credential or graduate program. Excellent teacher support including mentoring and professional development will be provided. This position supports the classroom lead teacher and reports to the lower school administrators.
Oversight and Responsibilities
- Support the lead teacher in creating a positive learning environment
- Assist in the planning of the weekly curriculum
- Assist in the preparation of classroom materials
- Assist in maintaining a classroom environment that supports the learning of students who have a wide range of learning challenges
- Lead group activities and lessons when needed
- Teach small reading and math groups
- Teach lessons in a subject area that interests the assistant
- Help in correcting schoolwork and homework
- Maintain ongoing communication with the lead teacher on classroom difficulties and individual students
- Model patience, flexibility, kindness, responsibility, a sense of humor, and respect for others
- Exhibit appropriate and accurate math, spelling, and grammar skills
- Participate in formal communication with parents, such as parent conferences and report writing
- Attend staff meetings and required events as referenced in the Faculty & Staff Handbook
- Engage in ongoing professional development relevant to the position
- Other duties as assigned by the Lower School Director or Head of School
You'll benefit from:
- A robust health insurance plan, including a school contribution that covers the employee cost and a portion of the cost for a partner and dependents.
- Employer match of retirement plan contributions up to 6% of salary.
- A 10-month contract, allowing ample time for recharging your battery over the summer.
We are an equal-opportunity employer
DVFriends is working to create a community that recognizes the strength of diversity and aspires to create an inclusive, respectful and just community. We welcome people of any race, religion, color, national or ethnic origin, sexual orientation, sexual identity, gender, gender identity and expression, age, military or veteran status, family structure, marital status, disability, citizenship status, and socioeconomic status to join our community. DV does not discriminate on the basis of these characteristics in our policies or practices.
- Knowledge of students with learning disabilities and ADHD is preferred.
- Familiarity with and appreciation for Quaker principles.
Connections working at Delaware Valley Friends School
About Delaware Valley Friends School
Delaware Valley Friends School is a national leader educating bright students (grades 1-12) with reading, writing, and other learning differences. Students receive a comprehensive, research-based, college preparatory curriculum, individualized instruction, cutting-edge assistive technologies, and successful college placement, with an emphasis on metacognition and self-advocacy within a community based on Quaker values. DVFriends is the first school program in the region accredited by both the International Dyslexia Association (IDA) and the International Multi-sensory Structured Language Education Council (IMSLEC) - the leaders in multi-sensory structured language instruction. Established in 1986, the school attracts students from across the region. Located on the Philadelphia Main Line, in Paoli, Pennsylvania, the school is 45 minutes by train from Center City.
Delaware Valley Friends School does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national or ethnic origin, gender, sexual orientation, sexual identity, age, disability or marital status in the administration of its educational policies, admissions policies, scholarship and loan programs, athletic and other sc...hool-administered programs, or in hiring, use of volunteers or board membership. Diverse candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.