Location: Greensboro, North Carolina
Type: Full Time
Canterbury seeks a passionate and collaborative full-time middle science teacher for the 2023-2024 school year.
The successful candidate is an educator who:
- loves middle school-aged students.
- creates and executes well-designed, meaningful lesson plans, mindful of best instructional practices of teaching and learning, including differentiation and inquiry-based models.
- collaborates easily and effectively with other teachers to plan and implement lessons.
- is a leader in inquiry-based instruction who keeps up with the latest advances in STEM education.
- enjoys writing, writes well, and can inspire this enthusiasm in students.
- fosters a climate of respect for each child as an individual.
- maintains strong relationships with students, parents, and colleagues.
- maintains a safe, open, healthy and inviting learning space.
- cheerfully supervises lunch, recess, carpool and other duties as required and participates in all required school events and the life of the school.
- is experienced in and committed to the ongoing development and maintenance of an inclusive community.
- seeks to be a leader in the greater science community of Greensboro, developing
- relationships with local universities and businesses in the STEM world, as well as seeking to engage colleagues at other independent and public schools in moving science instruction forward.
An undergraduate and/or graduate degree in education and/or science or another area related to the sciences is preferred. Teaching experience is preferred, but non-education candidates exhibiting strong interpersonal skills and exceptional strengths in other areas will receive consideration. Being able to coach a middle school sport or lead extracurricular activities is desired, as is a proven ability to work in a multifaceted environment while maintaining high standards of professionalism, discretion, a commitment to diversity and inclusivity, and a good sense of humor. Canterbury offers a collegial work environment and excellent benefits package. Salary is commensurate with experience.
Connections working at Canterbury School
About Canterbury School
Canterbury School is part of a long Episcopal school tradition of strong academics, an inquiry-based approach to learning, and a diverse environment. We give a central place to both the life of reason and the life of faith, and we believe that the ultimate purpose of education is to prepare students to become contributors to and leaders in an ever-changing world. Our preschool-8th grade structure concentrates on the learning needs and development of young children and middle school adolescents, without the added complexities of the high school experience. Since our founding in 1993, we have stressed that the most complete education develops the whole child: mind, body, and spirit.
Canterbury maintains a staff of approximately 70 employees, and its teaching faculty are a healthy mix of veteran, mid- and early-career educators who enjoy small class sizes where every child is known, cared for, and loved. Students of color comprise about 20 percent of our student body of 325. Our school is situated on a beautiful 35-acre campus with a natural area, ropes course, and pond – and also a well-equipped science center. From chess to outdoor exploration, faculty are encouraged to share the...ir passions, and students and teachers participate together in service learning as well. Canterbury Cougars are active in Greensboro, and we’re told that our students are some of the most polite in town – but they’re also still kids who love to have fun in a community that challenges their minds and nourishes their spirits.
Greensboro, NC is the birthplace of the Sit-In Movement, a progressive community full of religious and ethnic diversity. It offers outstanding universities, wonderful restaurants, beautiful parks and trails, minor league baseball and basketball teams, and a new 3,000-seat performing arts center opening this year.