Location: Greensboro, North Carolina
Canterbury seeks a passionate and collaborative Lower School Counselor. This position is available immediately. Faculty and staff at Canterbury are passionate, innovative, and dedicated members of the school community who embrace its unique philosophy and traditions while always striving for excellence. Faculty and staff are committed to growth as professionals and individuals and value and respect every member of the community. Faculty and staff are committed to helping students achieve success and to the mission and values of Canterbury School.
The successful candidate is an educator who:
- Counsel individuals and small groups of children toward social and emotional growth within the context of educating the whole child.
- Guide individuals and groups of students through the development of life skills.
- Correspond with outside specialists and agencies.
- Aid in the understanding of the consequences of actions for self and others.
- Work with families and students in dealing with a family crisis.
- Embody and support the Responsive Classroom approach to whole child development.
- Teach Life Skills and Health classes in Lower School.
- Consult with teachers about useful classroom interventions for struggling students.
- Provide parent education opportunities.
- Complete assessments, referrals and counseling with students and families.
An undergraduate and/or graduate degree in counseling or another area related to counseling is preferred. Teaching experience is preferred, but non-education candidates exhibiting strong interpersonal skills and exceptional strengths in other areas will receive consideration. Canterbury offers a collegial work environment and excellent benefits package. Salary is commensurate with experience.
Connections working at Canterbury School
About Canterbury School
Canterbury School is part of a long Episcopal school tradition of strong academics, an inquiry-based approach to learning, and a diverse environment. We give a central place to both the life of reason and the life of faith, and we believe that the ultimate purpose of education is to prepare students to become contributors to and leaders in an ever-changing world. Our preschool-8th grade structure concentrates on the learning needs and development of young children and middle school adolescents, without the added complexities of the high school experience. Since our founding in 1993, we have stressed that the most complete education develops the whole child: mind, body, and spirit.
Canterbury maintains a staff of approximately 70 employees, and its teaching faculty are a healthy mix of veteran, mid- and early-career educators who enjoy small class sizes where every child is known, cared for, and loved. Students of color comprise about 20 percent of our student body of 325. Our school is situated on a beautiful 35-acre campus with a natural area, ropes course, and pond – and also a well-equipped science center. From chess to outdoor exploration, faculty are encouraged to share the...ir passions, and students and teachers participate together in service learning as well. Canterbury Cougars are active in Greensboro, and we’re told that our students are some of the most polite in town – but they’re also still kids who love to have fun in a community that challenges their minds and nourishes their spirits.
Greensboro, NC is the birthplace of the Sit-In Movement, a progressive community full of religious and ethnic diversity. It offers outstanding universities, wonderful restaurants, beautiful parks and trails, minor league baseball and basketball teams, and a new 3,000-seat performing arts center opening this year.