Location: Vienna, Virginia
Type: Full Time
Green Hedges School seeks an experienced full time Director of Finance & Operations to start Spring 2023 or July 1, 2023. Green Hedges School is a private independent school serving ages 2 through Grade 8 with approximately 188 students in Vienna, VA, which is fourteen miles west of Washington, DC.
This is a tremendous opportunity to be an integral part of a strong and positive leadership team in a thriving, vibrant independent school. Reporting to the Head of School and working closely with the leadership team and the Board of Trustees, the Director of Finance & Operations is responsible for all aspects of fiscal management and operations at the school. The Director of Finance & Operations manages a team of two people and has responsibility for the Business Office, Human Resources, Office Management, Health & Safety, Buildings & Grounds, and Transportation. The successful candidate will have comprehensive knowledge of the entire functioning of the School, a strong accounting/financial analysis background as well as a strategic mindset. In addition, an understanding and skills in all aspects of human resources, facility management, and maintenance.
In partnership with the Head of School and other members of the School’s leadership team, the Director of Finance & Operations plays a key role in the development and execution of strategy to ensure the finance and operations of the School supports its mission, vision, and core values.
Work closely with the Head of School to develop and implement annual and long-range budgets and financial plans.
- Attend Board meetings, monthly Finance Committee meetings, Buildings & Grounds meetings, and other assigned committee meetings.
- Regularly meet with the Board Treasurer and other Board members to set agendas for the Finance Committee, Buildings & Grounds, and additional committee meetings and to ensure the Board has relevant and current financial information.
- Maintain accurate financial records, prepare financial statements. Ensure that the School’s leadership is kept updated regarding the School’s financial position, including identification of emerging issues.
- Supervise the work of the business office employee and use of standard accounting and bookkeeping procedures, to keep an accurate continuous record of the cash and financial position of the School, manage the financial operation of the School so that the institution remains financially stable.
- Approve all financial obligations; execute leases, loans, real estate transactions, contracts and other actions requiring a commitment or receipt of financial resources.
- Maintain appropriate levels of insurance to protect the property and to cover the liability of the School.
- Initiate and maintain an inventory of the School’s assets and monitor maintenance and depreciation of all School property.
- Coordinate relationship with the School’s independent auditors and supervise preparation of work papers for annual audit. Respond to auditor’s administrative recommendations in the management letter. Assist the audit team in preparation of the annual tax return, form 990, form 990T, and other returns including form 5500.
- Proactively explore efficiencies to improve the School’s financial position.
- Coordinate with the School’s legal counsel to ensure that the School is in compliance with all of its actions and decisions.
- Work with parents on financial issues related to their child(rens) enrollment.
- Analyze, review, and approve financial aid awards as part of the Financial Aid Committee.
- Make recommendations and assist the Head of School with decisions regarding salaries and benefits, including the evaluation of support staff.
- Maintenance of appropriate personnel policies.
- Manage all human resource issues, employee contracts, employee benefits, including health insurance and retirement programs, and payroll. Work closely with the school’s HR broker to handle annual open enrollment. Onboard new personnel.
- Ensure all programs are in compliance with federal and state laws and regulations.
Facilities & Transportation
- Oversee all facilities management, including all building repairs, construction projects, moves, janitorial and custodial function, and relations with renting organizations and neighbors.
- Oversee the purchase and maintenance of office furniture, equipment, supplies and systems to support the administrative and educational needs of the School, including telephone, mail, copy and fax equipment, computer hardware and software systems.
- Manage risk at the School to ensure the safety of personnel and students in their use of the facilities.
- In collaboration with the Buildings & Ground Committee and Head of School-coordinate lawyers, architects, engineers, contractors, and town council for master planning and major new construction or remodeling projects.
- Assess the School’s transportation needs. Oversee the management of the School busses, bus drivers, and bus routes.
- Work with the Parent Association Treasurer to account according to policy.
- Provide advice on all matters to the Head of School and assist the Head of School in the formulation of overall organization objectives.
- Work closely with the leadership team to develop and achieve strategic objectives in support of the School mission.
- Bachelor's degree required. Master's degree in Finances or a related field preferred.
- Experience in an independent school environment or nonprofit organization is preferred.
- An understanding of the financial and strategic decisions that are encountered in a not-for-profit, educational mission-driven institution.
- The job requires an individual to be a strong role model for professional behavior and a strong leader.
Interested candidates should submit to Head of School, Jennifer Bohnen firstname.lastname@example.org
1) letter of interest
2) three references
Green Hedges School does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Connections working at Green Hedges School
About Green Hedges School
All children embark on their own educational journeys brimming with potential, informed by nature, and nurtured through personal experience. We believe each journey is better and more nourishing if, during these formative years, it takes place within a deeply-connected and diverse community. Such a community provides children a supportive, physically- and emotionally-safe environment where they become confident learners who take risks and actively engage in their world. Green Hedges is this community.