Location: Chicago, Illinois
Type: Full Time
Commensurate with background and experience; comprehensive benefits package.
4 Year Degree
Francis W. Parker School is a renowned JK-12th grade independent day school. Founded in 1901 on the tenets of progressive education, the school currently enrolls 945 students and employs 200 dedicated faculty and staff members who, in addition to assistant teachers, substitute teachers and coaches, work together to ensure that the School lives up to its Mission to “educate students to think and act with empathy, courage and clarity as responsible citizens and leaders in a diverse, democratic society and global community.”
We are currently seeking an experienced, engaging, and progressive Art Teacher, with woodshop skills, who is excited to teach students in grades Junior Kindergarten-5th (approximately 4-11 years old) and is open to exploring a variety of media. Media can include woodworking, sculpture, drawing, and painting. Francis W. Parker School values flexibility and professional growth in faculty, and class assignments within the Art Department can change from year-to-year as curriculum evolves.
The Art Teacher must be comfortable with developing and refining classroom curriculum that is rich and stimulating and focuses on 3-D aspects of creativity. Parker’s progressive culture requires a high degree of collaboration as well as strong self-direction. This position is a great opportunity for a talented teacher to work with a large Art Department at a school that places a high value on the Arts.
Please submit cover letter with resume by email or fax to (no telephone inquiries please):
Laureen Sweers, Director of Human Resources
Francis W. Parker School
330 W. Webster Avenue
Chicago, IL 60614
The faculty, staff and administration of Francis W. Parker School are integral parts of the School's community. Through their passion, dedication and commitment to the School's mission, they create and support an environment where exceptional child-centered learning can occur.
Francis W. Parker School is committed to cultivating a community of dedicated students, parents, faculty and staff, trustees, administrators and alumni, who acknowledge, respect, and esteem diversity in our school; and who reflect, through their presence, the diversity of Chicago communities and the wider world. Francis W. Parker School is an equal opportunity employer.
- B.A., B.F.A., M.F.A., or M.A.E. required
- At least 2-3 years full-time teaching experience required
- Progressive teaching experience or an understanding of progressive philosophy
- Experience in and a commitment to developing one’s own cultural competency and seeking, continually, greater levels of diversity, equity and inclusion in practices and in curricula
- Demonstrated understanding of the stages of human development from early childhood to adolescence
- Experience with and appreciation for collaboration and team teaching
- Exceptional background in 3-D design, with strong competency in drawing, painting, and 2-D design
- Experience in a broad range of materials & techniques, including printmaking, fiber arts, and ceramics
- Contribute to school art exhibit and events
- Passion for lifelong learning and for supporting students as they become citizens in a multicultural world
Francis W. Parker School is committed to prioritizing the safety and well-being of our community. Accordingly, we require that our employees, including new employees, be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Proof of vaccination is required upon start of employment with the School. Requests for reasonable accommodation for medical or religious reasons will be considered in accordance with applicable law.