Location: Palo Alto, California
Type: Full Time
English Teacher - Middle School and Upper School
Castilleja is a dynamic, diverse, and intentional educational community for students in grades 6–12 that believes in the power of women learning and women leading. Founded in 1907, Castilleja fulfills its mission to educate young women to become confident thinkers and compassionate leaders with a sense of purpose to effect change in the world. Every member of the Castilleja community is responsible for fostering an equitable, respectful, and just community. We value building and sustaining authentic relationships and work together to create a collaborative learning and working environment. We are dedicated to a program that is responsive to students’ needs and identities and demonstrates a commitment to antiracist values and pedagogy.
Castilleja’s Catalyst for Equity and Inclusion Fellowship supports the recruitment, retention, and development of teaching candidates of color at Castilleja. Fellows engage in a three-year comprehensive program that ultimately serves to foster a more culturally responsive community and fulfill our Diversity and Inclusion statement and comes with a housing stipend.
TEACHING AT CASTILLEJA
At Castilleja we know that students thrive when learning happens within and beyond classroom walls and when students actively witness engagement in the greater community by the adults in their lives. Employees are invited to and supported as they connect with our global programs, advise student community engagement clubs and affinity/identity spaces, and inspire new ways to bring the mission alive on campus. Specifically, the English Department believes that writing is foundational to developing voice, understanding, and creative expression. Department members pursue varied interests and personal passions within the arts and humanities, and all have a commitment to deep thinking and effective communication in a variety of media. English Teachers report to Academic Leadership and work closely with other English teachers and with grade level colleagues. They typically teach at two grade levels and work with co-teachers.
Important qualities for this teacher include:
• Demonstrated commitment to collaboration and teamwork
• Openness to feedback and a growth mindset
• Practice in culturally responsive pedagogy
• Commitment to student-centered learning
• Commitment to experiential learning and interdisciplinary-thinking
• Experience with various modes of teaching and assessing
• An unabashed love of learning
- Prior teaching experience and/or commensurate professional experience
- Proficiency with technology in and out of the classroom
- Undergraduate degree in relevant field of study
Compensation and Benefits:
- Comprehensive Health Benefit plans
- Superior TIAA Retirement matching
- Castilleja uses a competitive salary scale which takes into account experience, education and skill level. The salary for this position ranges from $82,700 to $142,500.
Connections working at Castilleja
Castilleja School is a non-sectarian independent college preparatory school for young women located in the San Francisco Bay Area near Stanford University and in the heart of Silicon Valley. Founded in 1907 by Stanford University graduate Mary Ishbel Lockey, the school has an enrollment of girls in grades six through twelve, and has a long-standing reputation for the excellence of its academic program. Castilleja educates young women by fostering their intellectual, physical, creative, and emotional growth through an exemplary college preparatory experience within a diverse and supportive community.