Location: Forest Hills, New York
Type: Temp to Full Time
Salary: $22.50 per hour
The Kew-Forest School, a PS-12 co-educational day school founded in 1918 in Forest Hills, NY, seeks an experienced Summer Camp Specialist in Martial Arts to join our six-week in-person Summer Camp team. Camp starts Wednesday, July 5th, and ends Friday, August 11th. Our campers range in age from Kindergarten through Grade 5.
Kew-Forest is proud to enroll an astonishingly diverse student body representative of Queens and New York City, including approximately nine percent of whom are international students. The Kew-Forest School promotes diversity in its hiring process and is committed to supporting its inclusive community by hiring culturally diverse faculty to work with our equally diverse students and families. At Kew-Forest, our mission is to do more than just educate—it is to deeply inspire. The Kew-Forest School is embarking on an exciting new chapter as it enters its 105th year of operation. The individual who joins our community to fill this position must be energetic, creative, imaginative, and thoughtful in their approach to summer programming as the School enters its era of Kew-Forest 2.0.
- Providing supervision, recreational assistance to campers in a safe social and emotional space;
- Planning and implementing camp activities, lesson plans and special events that are structured, age-appropriate, fun, exciting, challenging, and values based in the area of martial arts;
- Facilitating and supporting all camp program activities;
- Engaging with campers during camp activities, events and trips;
- Maintaining a high level of flexibility and professionalism at all times and communicating behavioral expectations to campers;
- Managing and maintaining attendance sheets/logs;
- Maintaining professional relationships with other staff and parents and professionally representing Kew-Forest;
- Attending meetings with staff, as needed; and
- Other duties, as needed.
Skills and Experience
- Must be 18 years or older.
- High School Diploma or equivalent experience.
- Minimum of two years of experience working in a camp program and/or other relevant experience working with children.
- Strong content knowledge of engaging youth in recreational and artistic activities.
- Thorough knowledge of group management, behavior management, and positive youth development principles.
- Interest in providing quality recreational experiences to youth in Grades K-5.
- Strong professionalism with the ability to take on multiple responsibilities, be flexible, and possess a positive team-oriented attitude.
- Self-motivated with the ability to work effectively under pressure.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Strong understanding of and the ability to enforce program expectations and department policies.
- Flexibility to readily adapt to a changing environment.
Hours and Compensation
- Six-week programs between June-August 2023
- Part-time position: Mondays through Thursdays from 12:00 pm to 4:00 pm
- $22.50 per hour
If you are a college or graduate student (or meet the above requirements), have martial arts experience/knowledge, and love working with children, please contact us and send a resume. A brief intro about yourself is strongly encouraged. The position reports to the Director of Auxiliary and Summer Programs and is ideal for an individual with a flexible schedule. Necessary materials for summer camp will be provided.
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references to Keesha Sterling, Director of Auxiliary and Summer Programs, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To learn more about The Kew-Forest School, please visit our website: www.kewforest.org.
We are The Kew-Forest School.
Our community nurtures lifelong learners from around the world.
Our educators inspire young people to think boldly and find their voices.
Our students support each other and explore thoughtfully as they shape the future.
NOTICE OF NONDISCRIMINATION
The Kew-Forest School believes that all persons are entitled to equal employment opportunity. The School prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, religion, color, creed, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, national origin, culture, background, physical or mental disability, or any other legally protected classes or classifications. No employee or job applicant will be discriminated against in recruitment, compensation, promotion, or termination practices.
Connections working at The Kew-Forest School
About The Kew-Forest School
The Kew-Forest School is accredited by the New York State Association of Independent Schools (NYSAIS), the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools, and the New York State Department of Education. The School is also a member of the National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS), the Independent School Admissions Association of Greater New York (ISAAGNY), and the Guild of Independent Schools of New York (GISNY).
*The Kew-Forest School is a member of the New York State Association of Independent Schools Athletic Association (NYSAISAA), the Private School Athletic Association (PSAA), and the Long Island Athletic Association of Independent Schools (LIAAIS).