Location: Tacoma, Washington
Type: Full Time
Salary: $60,000 - $80,000
Salary & benefits
This position offers a salary range between $60,000 and $80,000, depending on qualifications and experience. Benefits available to the hired candidate include the following, subject to the terms of the applicable benefit plan:
Medical, dental, and vision insurance
Employee Assistance Program
Accidental death & dismemberment insurance
Long-term disability insurance
Paid sick leave (known as Wellness Days): Each regular full-time employee earns 80 hours of Wellness leave per accrual year
Twelve (12) paid Holidays in 2023
Fifty percent (50%) Tuition remission in accordance with school policy. All fees and incidental expenses are the sole responsibility of the employee-parent
All children of benefited employees of AWS, who are currently enrolled at AWS, are eligible for extended day services at no charge when school is in session. Charges apply for faculty in-service days or similar days
A 403(b) retirement plan with a 6% company match with a 3 % employee contribution
4 Year Degree
Annie Wright is seeking an Upper Schools Science Teacher to begin on August 18, 2023. This is a full-time faculty position that reports directly to an Upper School Division Director.
Annie Wright’s strong community cultivates individual learners to become well-educated, creative and responsible citizens for a global society.
As a member of the Annie Wright Upper Schools Science Department, the Upper Schools Science Teacher is committed to helping every student see themselves reflected in the field of science. The contributions of all peoples to the understanding of the natural world through the sciences is a story the Upper Schools Science teacher is excited to tell. We believe that our student-centered mission demands that we ensure the curricular content of the class connects students to their community and the world.
As a key member of the Upper Schools’ Science Department, the Upper School Science Teacher encourages students to explore, analyze, examine, and question, and, ultimately, inspires students to understand the world and their place in it, through a more critical and well-informed lens. In both academic and co-curricular spaces, the Teacher is a mentor, a guide and an advocate for student voice and exploration.
As a core member of the Upper Schools faculty, the Science Teacher reports to an Upper Schools’ Division Director, working collaboratively with the faculty to continuously assess the curriculum and review best practices, and is integral in supporting and developing students that embody the school’s mission and vision. As a member of the school’s Science Department, the Science Teacher will be charged with collaborating with a departmental team, with the guidance of the Upper Schools Administration. The Upper Schools Science Teacher values hands-on experiential learning through the use of frequent demonstrations and laboratory exercises. The Science Teacher encourages students to become lifelong learners by developing curiosity about science and the natural world. Together with the Upper Schools faculty, the Science Teacher strives to collaborate effectively to provide equitable, high-quality science experiences that are rigorous, creative, and relevant to all of our students.
Position overview: duties & responsibilities
The Upper Schools Science Teacher:
- Implements curriculum based on best practices in teaching, student-centered instruction, and relevant educational technologies;
- Reports to an Upper School Division Director;
- Teaches four or five sciences courses in alignment with the mission and philosophy of Annie Wright Schools and with the International Baccalaureate framework;
- If teaching four sections, runs an after school (s)Elective in an area of passion and/or expertise;
- Participates actively in after school and extra-curricular programming along with other members of the faculty to understand students outside as well as inside the classroom;
- Fulfills all faculty duties, which can include serving as an advisor, and maintains good communication with families about student progress.
The US Science Teacher will demonstrate key elements of the listed expertise and experiences. This is an aspirational list and Annie Wright Schools encourages candidates to apply who may not currently possess, but are working on building, all of these qualities. The US Science Teacher:
- Holds a BA or BS in Biology, Chemistry, Physics, or a related field;
- Has experience as a teacher of Science at the high school level and/or middle school;
- Is familiar with independent schools and/or the International Baccalaureate framework;
- Is a strong communicator and empathetic listener;
- Is innovative;
- Is a mentor, a guide and a team-builder;
- Demonstrates an ability to form authentic and appropriate relationships with high school students;
- Demonstrates proficiency in educational technologies;
- Practices cultural humility in personal interactions;
- And, is eligible to work in the United States. Note: Under our current employment policies, we are unable to sponsor work visas and do not offer positions to candidates who are not yet eligible to work in the United States.
- Must be able to sit and stand for extended periods of time;
- Must be able to move comfortably around a classroom, accessing materials and assisting students as needed;
- Must be able to communicate and exchange information with students, other teachers, and families.
- Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at times.
Annie Wright Schools remain firmly committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity. Annie Wright shall hire, promote, transfer, terminate, and make all other employment related decisions without regard to an employee’s race, color, creed, sex, religion, age, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, political ideology, the presence of any sensory, mental or physical disability, or any other basis prohibited by law. Annie Wright Schools are actively seeking to create a more culturally diverse school community and accordingly, applicants of color and underrepresented backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
To apply, email a cover letter, resume, email and telephone contact information for 3-5 professional references, and this completed and signed application, all in PDF format, to Mrs. Erin Gann, Executive Assistant to the Head of Schools, at firstname.lastname@example.org. In accordance with Annie Wright Schools’ strategic focus on issues related to social justice, candidates should anticipate being asked to address how their past work, as well as future contributions, might serve to advance Annie Wright’s commitment to a more diverse and inclusive community. Applications for this position will be accepted until filled.
Connections working at Annie Wright Schools
About Annie Wright Schools
Tradition meets innovation at Annie Wright Schools, where we honor our rich history and traditions, embrace the present, and continue always to move forward. Founded in 1884, Annie Wright Schools serve students from age three through high school. The Lower and Middle Schools offer co-ed programs in Preschool through Grade 8, while separate Upper Schools for boys and girls offer day and boarding options in Grades 9 through 12, welcoming students from Tacoma and around the world. We are proud to be an International Baccalaureate World School, delivering IB programs in every division.