Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Type: Full Time
William Penn Charter School is an all gender, Quaker, coeducational, pre-K-12 independent, day school in the East Falls neighborhood of Philadelphia. Established in 1689 by William Penn and members of the Religious Society of Friends, Penn Charter is a community guided by Quaker testimonies and the central belief that there is "that of God" in every person. A school community that honors difference, Penn Charter seeks to be a place where diversity is understood, represented and valued. Our curriculum embraces a plurality of cultures and celebrates an array of voices, instilling in us a deeper understanding and empathy for individuals in this community and the world.
As our mission states, we value scholarship and inquiry. With excellence as our standard, we challenge students in a vigorous program of academics, arts and athletics. Through global connections, civic engagement and a focus on environmental sustainability, we inspire students to be thinkers, collaborators, innovators and leaders. We educate students to live lives that make a difference.
William Penn Charter School seeks a Substitute Upper School Chemistry and Anatomy and Physiology teacher to begin March 6, 2023 until June 13, 2023. Successful candidates must embrace student-centered pedagogy and technology use in the classroom, model curiosity and a desire for professional growth, and exhibit a desire to build positive and meaningful relationships with students, colleagues, administrators, and parents in a manner consistent with the School's mission. Familiarity with the principles and practices of Quakerism and Quaker education is highly desirable.
- Demonstrate a commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and social justice both in their teaching practice and in building relationships with students and other community members
- Teach three Upper School Chemistry courses (ex. Regular Chemistry).
- Teach one Anatomy and Physiology course
- Serve as an advisor to approximately eight Upper School students
- Attend meetings, write comments, and report grades according to predetermined dates on the school calendar
- Consistently use the assignment feature of the HUB (Penn Charter's learning management system) to post homework and dates of assessments and maintain an updated grade book also in the HUB
- Collaborate with colleagues on the lesson and unit designs
- Other duties as assigned by the Head of School, Assistant Head of School, or their designee such as occasionally proctoring study halls
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to teach all levels of Chemistry as well as Anatomy and Physiology
- High energy, initiative, and strong work ethic
- Empathy and patience
- Ability to remain professional and courteous while interacting with students, colleagues, and parents
- A comprehensive understanding of the field of education and a demonstrated willingness to explore and embrace new pedagogical practices, technologies and developing trends
- Exhibit a passion for teaching science and working with adolescents
- Proficient in Google Suite & Microsoft Office programs
- Intermittent or prolonged periods of sitting and standing
- Ability to lift approximately 20 pounds
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions
Required education and experience
- Previous experience teaching Chemistry courses
- Bachelor's degree in Chemistry or education with a concentration in Chemistry/Biology or a closely related field
- Experience designing and teaching lab-based, student-centered curriculum
Preferred education and experience
- Familiarity with the principles and practices of Quakerism and Quaker education
- Previous experience teaching online or in a concurrent classroom model would be a plus
- Teacher Certification (preferred, but not required)
- Master’s Degree in Chemistry or a related field
We will review application materials as they are submitted and interview candidates on a rolling basis until the position has been filled.
Prior to hiring, we ask all potential employees to be vaccinated and protected from the life-threatening impact of COVID 19. At Penn Charter we have supported our community's efforts to eradicate the spread of COVID 19 by facilitating access to Covid-19 vaccinations for all current employees and eligible students.
William Penn Charter School provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Connections working at https://www.penncharter.com/about-us
William Penn Charter School is an all gender, Quaker, coeducational, PreK-12 independent day school in the East Falls neighborhood of Philadelphia. Established in 1689 by William Penn and members of the Religious Society of Friends, Penn Charter values scholarship and inquiry. Our school emphasizes academics, the arts, athletics, spiritual awareness and service learning.
More Jobs from This Employer