Location: Fryeburg, Maine
Type: Full Time
Fryeburg Academy, a 600-student day and boarding high school in Western Maine and the Mount Washington Valley, seeks an innovative Mathematics teacher for the FY24 school year. This full-time position involves teaching five math classes. Candidates must be proficient in mathematical concepts, content, and skills. The job will include instruction in algebra, finance, and general math. The successful candidate will demonstrate the enthusiastic ability to work with students from a variety of backgrounds and cultures, and with a diverse range of academic interests and skill levels.
Preference will be given to candidates with teaching experience and developed, varied strategies for teaching math. Fryeburg faculty have significant responsibilities connected with the school's boarding program. The Academy is therefore looking for individuals who enjoy working with high school students both in and out of the classroom and who wish, through commitment to a variety of roles, to strengthen its community. Experience working with students outside of the classroom- tutoring, coaching, in a residential or camp setting, or as an activity advisor- is a plus. On-campus housing is available immediately.
Knowledge, Skills, Dispositions:
- A strong belief in independent education, and particularly the mission of Fryeburg Academy
- Ability to work with, encourage, and inspire students to seek continuous growth
- Ability and desire to innovate in the classroom
- Excellent communications skills, both oral and written
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively while maintaining high professional standards
- A willingness to work with students of all backgrounds and abilities
- Outstanding knowledge of subject matter
- Understanding of how students learn and best pedagogical practices in mathematics
- A desire to work with students both in and out of the classroom. In particular, a willingness to serve as an academic advisor for a group of 10-12 students for their four years of high school
Qualifying Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree required; master’s degree preferred
All Fryeburg Academy employees are subject to Maine Dept. of Education Criminal History Record Check
Fryeburg Academy is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
TO APPLY: Interested candidates should submit an application, letter of interest, résumé, college transcripts, and three references to Erin Wentworth, Human Resources Manager (email@example.com).
Connections working at Fryeburg Academy
About Fryeburg Academy
Fryeburg Academy is an independent secondary school that serves a widely diverse population of local day students and boarding students from across the nation and around the world. The Academy believes that a strong school community provides the best conditions for learning and growth. Therefore, we strive to create a supportive school environment that promotes respect, tolerance, and cooperation, and prepares students for responsible citizenship. Within this context, the Academy’s challenging and comprehensive academic program, enriched by a varied co-curriculum, provides the knowledge and skills necessary for success in higher education and the workplace.