Location: Potomac, Maryland
Type: Full Time
4 Year Degree
Bullis School seeks an Upper School Social Studies Teacher for the 2023-2024 academic year to join a collaborative department committed to growing an academic program that celebrates a broad range of voices and perspectives. The Social Studies department offers a variety of on-level and AP Social Studies courses including Human Geography, US History, US Government, World History, and Psychology. Responsibilities include teaching five classes, contributing to department initiatives, and advising. Additional opportunities to supervise after-school activities are based on need and interest. This is a 10-month position reporting to the Chair of the Social Studies Department.
The Bullis Social Studies program provides students with opportunities to develop in-depth understanding of their communities and the world, past and present, in order to become responsible and empathetic global citizens. Each course focuses on developing skills and competencies - content, critical thinking, research, writing and presentation skills - that students should both be prepared to engage in during the course and demonstrate significant growth in or mastery of at the end of the course. Students build foundational skills and competencies in 9th grade and continue to develop and expand their content and skills each successive year. Guided by the school’s new Strategic Plan, this is an exciting opportunity for an experienced educator to participate in an academic review process with other curricular leaders across the school and ensure that diverse perspectives, histories, and experiences are incorporated into the curriculum
Bullis is a community that welcomes new people and ideas, embraces diversity, and shares a common vision of kindness, challenge, and reflective learning. Bullis is proud of its culture of innovation and growth and supports faculty with ample professional development opportunities that include a commitment to Equity and Inclusion training and education. Bullis School is an independent coeducational college preparatory day school for students in grades K-12 situated on a beautiful 102-acre campus in Potomac, MD, and is home to a full range of state-of-the-art facilities for learning, arts, discovery, and athletics. To learn more about teaching and learning at Bullis School please click here.
Qualities of a Bullis Social Studies Teacher
- An appreciation and respect for high school-aged students as learners and people, through challenging and joyful moments alike
- Use of reflection and feedback aimed at continued growth in the field of teaching and working with young people
- Commitment and knowledge to work with, teach, and lead groups of diverse individuals in respectful, equitable, and inclusive ways
- Experience creating learning environments that encourage risk-taking and deep learning for students with a range of learning abilities using a variety of methods and technology
- Knowledge of curriculum standards and applications in the subject area
- Good cheer, humor, and warmth, balanced by professionalism and sound judgment
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in History or relevant field required
- Master’s Degree in History, Education, or relevant field preferred
- Minimum of three years teaching experience in secondary education preferred
- Teaching certification not required
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and current resume along with an application through the Bullis Career site. The Search Committee will begin reviewing candidate materials upon receipt and begin contacting qualified candidates immediately. We will keep applicants informed of their status throughout the process.
Bullis School is committed to staff diversity, equality, and continued professional growth. Bullis School provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Bullis School complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.
Connections working at Bullis School
About Bullis School
Bullis School is an independent coeducational college preparatory day school for students in grades K-12 situated on a beautiful 102-acre campus in Potomac, MD, and is home to a full range of state-of-the-art facilities for learning, arts, discovery, and athletics.