Location: New Canaan, Connecticut
Type: Full Time
St. Luke’s School, a secular, college-preparatory day school serving grades 5 through 12 in New Canaan, Connecticut, seeks a full-time Middle School Band Director. The successful candidate will be a creative, energetic musician who is eager to apply their strengths to a dynamic instrumental music program. You will have the opportunity to join an experienced, passionate music team who create a variety of unique musical opportunities that leverage both their own and their students’ musical interests. As a result, our music program is a huge draw for students, with approximately half of the student body electively participating in an inclusive and supportive musical environment. Our ideal candidate will be a skilled recruiter and motivator of students, a flexible and creative problem solver, and an eager collaborator.
Primary Job Responsibilities:
- Direct and/or assist instruction of the full departmental range of Instrumental Music offerings, which include Prep, Concert, Jazz, and Middle School Bands; Digital Music, and Music Theory; with primary responsibility for the Middle School Instrumental program.
- Play, instruct learning and provide maintenance for woodwind, brass, and percussion instruments.
- Collaborate with department members, school personnel, parents and various community agencies for the purpose of planning curriculum, securing performing opportunities, and improving the overall student experience.
- Participate in three seasons of an after-school activity - music-related (like the Blues Band), athletic coaching, theater, etc.
- Serve as co-advisor for a group of 6 to 8 students.
- Assist with supervisory duties, such as study hall proctoring, lunchroom supervision, and chaperoning events.
Key Skills and Qualities:
- Inspiring, collaborative teacher with prior classroom teaching experience, who loves working with middle school students of all ages and ability levels
- Ability to recruit and motivate students, to inspire and foster a love of music
- Experience using technology creatively, ideally working in a 1:1 teaching environment and/or with SmartMusic, Sibelius, GarageBand, and Google Apps for Education
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Experience using technology creatively and working in a 1:1 teaching environment
- Growth-oriented professional who embraces a collaborative approach to innovation and creative problem solving
- Strong cultural competency skills, with demonstrated commitment to furthering an equitable and inclusive school community that supports a strong sense of belonging
- Interest in and enthusiasm for St. Luke’s brand of leadership education
Proof of full covid vaccination required upon hiring. All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
To apply, please include a cover letter, resume, and references as a single pdf file addressed to Amber Berry, Head of Middle School, and Jim Foley, Assistant Head of School for Leadership & Innovation..
Located in New Canaan, Connecticut, St. Luke’s attracts families from 25 towns throughout Connecticut and New York. A combination of challenging academics and truly exceptional community support distinguishes St. Luke’s and encourages our students to go above and beyond their own expectations. St. Luke’s offers an inclusive environment where differences in race, culture, and personal beliefs are embraced as assets that enhance education. St. Luke’s prides itself on being a forward-thinking school where students hone their own distinct leadership skills - developing a strong moral compass, the commitment to serve, and the confidence to lead.
St. Luke’s School is an equal opportunity employer. St. Luke’s School does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, marital status, disability, veteran status or sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law with regard to hiring, terms and conditions of employment or educational programs. We strive to provide a welcoming educational environment where the value and dignity of every member is respected.
Connections working at St. Luke's School
About St. Luke's School
St. Luke’s attracts families from 25 towns throughout Connecticut and New York. A combination of challenging academics and truly exceptional community support distinguishes St. Luke’s and encourages our students to go above and beyond their own expectations. St. Luke’s offers an inclusive environment where differences in race, culture, and personal beliefs are embraced as assets that enhance education. St. Luke’s prides itself on being a forward-thinking school where students hone their own distinct leadership skills by developing a design mindset, an inclusive ethos, a global perspective, and a service orientation.