Location: Savannah, Georgia
Type: Full Time
4 Year Degree
The Savannah Country Day School seeks an energetic Physical Education Teacher/Coach to join its learning community for the 2023-2024 academic year. This full-time position will include Physical Education teaching assignments in the Middle School, as well as training and coaching athletic teams during the school year.
Typical duties include, but are not limited to:
- Supervising practical Physical Education lessons, both indoors and outdoors.
- Motivating students/athletes, ensuring that they compete at their ability level.
- Encouraging student participation in school sports.
- Instilling good sportsmanship and strong work ethics in student athletes.
The ideal candidate will possess an expert knowledge in a variety of sports, sporting tactics, and physical training programs. Must enjoy working with children, be committed to student development, and demonstrate strong leadership skills.
- Bachelor’s degree in Sports Administration, Physical Education, or related field.
- Three (3) or more years’ teaching or coaching experience strongly desired.
- Valid Driver’s License and insurability required.
- Excellent communication skills and a willingness to function as part of the Athletics and Middle School teams.
- Attendance at evening and weekend functions is required.
Qualified applicants should email a cover letter and resume to Kenny Conroy, Director of Athletics, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This position involves routine physical activity, with regular bending/reaching, pushing/pulling, stooping, and crouching. Also requires intermittent sitting, standing, and walking in various settings. Work is typically performed in campus buildings and outdoors, where the employee is occasionally exposed to heat, cold, or inclement weather. The employee carries light to medium weight objects, up to 50 pounds.
Savannah Country Day traces its origins back to the 1905 founding of The Pape School, an institution long recognized for its academic excellence and college preparatory curriculum. Led by a group of visionary parents who saw the continued need for a first-rate college preparatory school in Savannah, the founders of Savannah Country Day built upon the assets of the Pape School and created a school with a recognized tradition of academic excellence across the southeast. Today, Savannah Country Day School is Savannah's preeminent college preparatory school providing a rigorous, yet supportive learning environment for a wide variety of motivated learners. Enrolling over 1000 students ranging from 4 month olds to 12th grade, SCDS is truly a family school. Situated on a beautiful, 65-acre campus on the south side of historic Savannah, Georgia, SCDS has a 6:1 student to teacher ratio, an unparalleled arts program and a full range of athletic and extracurricular opportunities. Significant funds are available for faculty professional development and our faculty average 21 years of experience with 85% of Upper School faculty holding advanced degrees.
Inclusion at Savannah Country Day School:
The Savannah Country Day School is guided by the school’s mission statement which includes:
- that each student's life is enriched in a diverse community where differences among people are affirmed and celebrated;
- that the school shares with families the responsibility for fostering in each student strength of character, a sense of personal responsibility, and an attitude of faith, reverence, and tolerance;
SCDS seeks candidates of all cultures and backgrounds who embrace the school’s mission of diversity, are eager to engage in the work of inclusion and have a desire to join a community of diverse individuals who celebrate their similarities while also recognizing their individuality.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Connections working at The Savannah Country Day School
About The Savannah Country Day School
Savannah Country Day School is an Early Childhood–Grade 12 co-educational day school of about 900 students. The school is one of the strongest in the Southeast. Our students go on from SCDS to excel at colleges all over the country. Founded in 1955, the school sits on a beautiful 65-acre campus with numerous classroom buildings, several playing fields, three gymnasiums, and two state-of-the-art libraries. The campus culture is informal and relaxed, but expectations of students are high in all areas. Besides a strong academic program, the school has very strong programs in the fine arts, athletics, and service learning.