Location: Palo Alto, California
Type: Full Time
Castilleja is a dynamic, diverse, and intentional educational community for students in grades 6–12 that believes in the power of women learning and women leading. Founded in 1907, Castilleja fulfills its mission to educate young women to become confident thinkers and compassionate leaders with a sense of purpose to effect change in the world. Every member of the Castilleja community is responsible for fostering an equitable, respectful, and just community. We value building and sustaining authentic relationships and work together to create a collaborative learning and working environment. We are dedicated to a program that is responsive to students’ needs and identities and demonstrates a commitment to antiracist values and pedagogy.
THE MIDDLE SCHOOL ATHLETIC DIRECTOR and FITNESS TEACHER
The Athletics Department seeks an educational leader to be the Middle School Athletic Director and Fitness Teacher. This position will support and grow the athletic program, inspire and engage our students in an outstanding athletic experience as well as work closely with other fitness teachers to provide a quality full physical education curriculum. This role will oversee an afterschool sports program that prepares students for lifelong engagement in physical activity and a healthy lifestyle.
The Middle School Athletic Director reports to the Athletic Director and the Middle School Division Head and works closely with other Fitness teachers and the Wellness Department, as well as grade level colleagues. The primary duties include:
- Leads and strengthens a Middle School athletics program that advances the mission of the school.
- Assists in the recruitment, supervision and evaluation of coaches (adult and student) for all MS team sports.
- Ensures that student athletes have access to the equipment, facilities and uniforms they need to compete safely.
- Coordinates with league officials to schedule home and away games for all MS teams.
- Ensures compliance with MS WBAL league policies and regulations.
- Arranges transportation to and from off-site practices and competitions.
- Develops, sustains, and facilitates relationships with nearby facilities.
- Fostering and organizing team social opportunities at collegiate athletic events.
- Collaborates with MS class deans and co-curricular directors to support student-athletes with an athletics program that complements the academic and ethical values of the Middle School.
- Communicate regularly with the Head of the Middle School.
- Assist the Director of Athletics with the organization of an annual banquet that honors our athletes.
- Assists the Director of Athletics with the athletic department’s budget.
- Supervises or monitors all MS athletics hosted events and support teams during competitions away from Castilleja.
- Encourages broad participation and engagement in all MS sports.
- Coordinates team rosters, schedule practices and assign facility use.
- Communicates with the Maintenance Department to ensure facilities are maintained and appropriately prepared for use.
- Promotes effective communication between coaches and athletes, and parents.
- Coaches a team during at least one season.
- Assigns, manages and maintains uniforms.
- Other duties as assigned by either the Head of School, Head of Middle School, or Director of Athletics.
- Coach one after school team each season and fitness classes during the school day.
What we are looking for in an Middle School Athletic Director:
- Enthusiasm for engaging middle school girls in athletics.
- Exceptional administrative and communication skills.
- Experience coaching a variety of sports and activities.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field.
- Create and/or complement curriculum that meets student needs and identities
- Teach the fundamentals of various sports throughout the school year; leading up to playing games in a controlled environment.
- Emphasize student teamwork and sportsmanship
- Support a classroom environment of collaboration and community
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field of study
- At least three years of experience in teaching PE and/or coaching Middle School or Upper School Students.
- Experience in and enthusiasm for teaching and coaching Middle School students.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and adapt pedagogy, curriculum, and assessments for students with a range of skill levels and learning styles.
- Commitment to helping girls think independently and develop confidence in their own abilities.
- Excellent collaboration and communication skills.
- Be able to model inclusive behavior in whether on the field or in the classroom.
- Proficiency with technology (google suites, schoology).
Compensation and Benefits:
- Comprehensive Health Benefit Plans
- Superior TIAA Retirement matching
- Castilleja uses a competitive salary scale which takes into account experience, education and skill level. The salary for this position ranges from $82,700 to $142,500.
Connections working at Castilleja
Castilleja School is a non-sectarian independent college preparatory school for young women located in the San Francisco Bay Area near Stanford University and in the heart of Silicon Valley. Founded in 1907 by Stanford University graduate Mary Ishbel Lockey, the school has an enrollment of girls in grades six through twelve, and has a long-standing reputation for the excellence of its academic program. Castilleja educates young women by fostering their intellectual, physical, creative, and emotional growth through an exemplary college preparatory experience within a diverse and supportive community.