Location: summit, New Jersey
Type: Full Time
Dedicated to excellence in academics, the development of faith, and an emphasis on the whole child, Oak Knoll, a member of the Holy Child Network of Schools, offers a premier college preparatory program for girls in its grades 7–12 Upper School. For a position to begin in August 2023, Oak Knoll is seeking a dynamic and collaborative engineering and computer science teacher to join the Computer Science department.
- Have the content knowledge and intellectual flexibility to teach engineering, robotics, and computer science from introductory through advanced placement levels to students in grades 7-12
- Plan, prepare, and deliver innovative, intellectually engaging, and academically rigorous instructional content that promotes successful learning
- Launch a competitive middle and high school robotics team that meets after school two-three times weekly
- Serve as the faculty advisor and coach to the robotics club and other STEAM focused clubs. The Robotics Team meets after school twice a week and participates in weekend competitions.
- Expand the resources and offerings of the newly renovated Oak Knoll makHER space
- Maintain and upgrade equipment in the makerspace
- Use technology to deliver instruction that supports and deepens student learning
- Understand how girls learn and use this knowledge to guide instructional and curricular decisions; apply principles of mind, brain, and education science when teaching, developing curriculum, and assessing student learning
- Collaborate in the evaluation and design of the computer science department curriculum
- Serve as an advisor to a small group of students and support their social and emotional learning
- Work collaboratively and professionally with a teaching team, faculty, colleagues, students, administrators, and parents
- Ensure timely communication with parents on issues concerning students’ learning needs
- Maintain accurate student records such as grades and comments and communicate such data in accordance with the academic calendar and School expectations
- Collaborate with Lower School Social Studies faculty to ensure curricular alignment
- Engage in continuing professional development
- Participate fully in the life of the Upper School, including attending faculty meetings and in-service
- Engage in all aspects of the Oak Knoll community while promoting and supporting the OKS mission, vision, and values
- Perform other duties as assigned by, and in support of, the Division Head and Head of School
- Report to the Computer Science Department Chair
- 3+ years teaching experience at the middle and/or high school level
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred (degrees in related subject matter)
- Experience with the Advanced Placement curriculum is preferred, but not required
- Experience with LEGO robotics, block-based code, and Java, Java or Python is preferred
- Experience with iterative design process
- Experience managing a maker space is preferred, but not required
- Ability to demonstrate growth mindset, optimism, and belief that all students can excel
- An education mindset that believes that a teacher’s role is to innovate and think creatively about education and meeting the needs of every child
- Committed to the principles of diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice in and outside of the classroom
- Highly collaborative and self-motivated
- Ability to make contributions to the School outside one’s academic department, including to club and advisory programs
- Ability to uphold the School’s professional standards including punctuality, courtesy and discretion
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills (oral and written), organizational, problem solving, and interpersonal skills
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references to UpperSchoolJobs@OakKnoll.org.
Connections working at Oak Knoll School of the Holy Child
About Oak Knoll School of the Holy Child
Oak Knoll School of the Holy Child is coeducational from PK to grade 6 and girls only in grades 7-12. We are part of the global Holy Child Network of Schools, which includes nine schools across the U.S. and 13 overseas. Oak Knoll is Judeo-Christian in heritage, Roman Catholic in teaching and worship, where we believe that each person is created by God for an intended purpose. An Oak Knoll education guides students to discover that purpose and make a significant, positive impact on the world.
Oak Knoll is an equal opportunity employer where diversity is celebrated, and cultural competency is required. As a Holy Child school, we work for Christian principles of justice, peace and compassion in every facet of life. We know that we can build a better world by learning from each other and embracing differences, and we are committed to making Oak Knoll a truly inclusive place to work and learn.
For more information about Oak Knoll, visit www.oakknoll.org.