Location: Seattle, Washington
Salary: $31,699 - $54,698
Compensation Range: $31,699 - $54,698
4 Year Degree
Lakeside School, an independent 5-12 coeducational day school located in North Seattle is currently recruiting for a Long Term Sub position for Middle School Science. This will be full time for the second semester of the 2023-2024 school year.
Lakeside Middle School’s science teachers are a collaborative team. Across the four grades the curriculum includes physics, chemistry, life science, geology, global topics, climate change and engineering. Interdisciplinary, student-directed, and competency-based projects are a focus at each grade level. The successful candidate will be an enthusiastic science educator who is interested in curriculum development, innovative pedagogy, culturally responsive and collaborative teaching, and working with highly motivated young students.
Specific responsibilities for this position are to:
- Teach four sections of science, two at the 6th grade level (general science) and two at the 7th grade level (Biology). Class size is 16-18 students per class. Each class meets for fifty minutes 2 out of every 3 days. These courses will be planned and taught in collaboration with 1-2 other teachers.
- Provide academic support for students outside of class time as needed (e.g., answer homework questions via email, provide extra help during lunch or study halls).
- Collaborate actively with colleagues to implement curriculum, pedagogy, and assessment that align with departmental emphasis on project based learning and teaching science through an equity and justice lens.
- Attend science department meetings , faculty meetings and other all school events.
- Serve as a co-advisor to 8-9 seventh grade students. This involves being present for morning check-in, daily community time in the afternoon, and parent/guardian communication as needed.
- Participate in the life of the school community, including lunch duty, supervision of afternoon pickup, maintenance and care of science department pets, and experiential parts of our program such as outdoor trips and service learning days.
Requirements and Qualifications The successful candidate will:
- Possess a bachelor’s degree (or higher) in science or a related field.
- Have a demonstrated interest in educating adolescents, in or out of the classroom, ideally with experience teaching middle school, high school or college students.
- Be flexible and have a sense of humor (seriously, it’s middle school)!
- Be able to work with students whose backgrounds and experiences with science vary widely.
- Have experience instructing a diverse student population (race, gender, religion, politics, etc.), including teaching students with different styles and approaches to learning.
- Have cultural awareness -- this includes knowledge of themselves and the cultural lenses they bring to interactions, the ability to understand different perspectives, experience interacting respectfully with cultures other than their own and the ability to cultivate meaningful relationships with people that have different cultural frameworks.
- Be comfortable using a PC/Windows platform computer as well as Google Suite.
- Provide references who will speak to their excellent collaborative skills and an ability to be both a leader and a follower.
- Candidates must satisfactorily complete three criminal background checks.
- Proof of COVID vaccination and booster to human resources. Candidates requesting a medical and/or religious exemption should reach out to Human Resources.
Compensation Range: $31,699 - $54,698
Lakeside School continually recruits for qualified teachers to be placed on substitute rosters throughout the school. Postings will remain open indefinitely.
Working At Lakeside
At Lakeside we are committed to sustaining a school in which individuals representing diverse cultures and experiences instruct one another in the meaning and value of community. To learn more about working at Lakeside, including our professional development and mentoring programs, benefits, diversity and inclusion, and opportunities for involvement in non-academic programs, please visit our Careers
page on the Lakeside School website.
Equity in hiring: According to various studies, women and people of color are more likely to not apply for a job if they see themselves as not meeting every requirement of the posting, which means employers miss meeting potentially ideal candidates. Lakeside School is committed to building a diverse and inclusive community where employees from diverse cultures are affirmed and equipped to lead an inclusive learning environment for our students. Please apply even if you don’t meet every single requirement.
Connections working at Lakeside School
About Lakeside School
The School’s Mission and shared commitment of all Lakeside employees is to develop in intellectually capable young people the creative minds, healthy bodies, and ethical spirits to contribute wisdom, compassion, and leadership to a global society. We provide a rigorous, dynamic academic program through which effective educators lead students to take responsibility for learning. We are committed to sustaining a school in which individuals representing diverse cultures and experiences instruct one another in the meaning and value of community and in the joy and importance of lifelong learning.