Location: Locust Valley, New York
Type: Full Time
Oversees the creation and implementation of all alumni engagement including objectives, strategies, tactics, metrics, and timelines to promote alumni affinity and giving to Friends Academy.
The Director of Alumni Relations will be a key member of the Advancement team, building relationships among Friends Academy’s 4,400 alumni, both locally and nationally. The new hire will be a lead solicitor responsible for meeting a portion of Friends Academy’s annual fund goal, which is expected to grow each year, and totals $1.5M in 2021-22. The Director will aim to meet or exceed annual goals of 12% alumni participation and increase the average alumni dollar raised per year and is responsible for helping to grow the pipeline of major gift donors.
The Director will serve as the primary liaison between alumni and Friends Academy and is responsible for leadership of alumni activities including volunteer management, alumni programming, and communications. Working closely with the Director of Advancement, they will be expected to provide innovative strategies for increased alumni connection. Will help to orchestrate and attend all alumni functions and activities as the School’s principal representative, working closely with the Director of Advancement to facilitate excellent communication and coordination of alumni interface with the School.
The position requires proven frontline fundraising abilities, strong organizational skills, the ability to build lasting relationships with donors and reunion classes, and oversight of volunteer management programs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: (other duties may be assigned)
- Alumni Engagement- Ensure and reinforce a strong relationship between alumni and the School. Engage alumni through FA-sponsored alumni-driven activities and events, identify and cultivate future volunteer leaders and donors, and provide leadership for alumni relations programs.
- Volunteer Management- Manage the Friends Academy Alumni Advisory Board (FAAAB), Parents of Alumni Association (POAA), BIPOC Alumni of Friends Academy (BAFA), reunion chairs, and class agents. Oversee the Distinguished Alumni Award selection committee.
- Alumni and Reunion Giving Program- Manage a 12-18 month calendar of outreach for milestone reunions through the class agent volunteer program.
- Alumni Communications- Assists the Communications office with specific alumni-related communications including class notes, alumni profile identification, and outreach to alumni via social media. Work with colleagues to write, design, and send monthly alumni e-newsletters, alumni solicitations, and invitations. Use data-driven segmentation strategies to effectively engage donors.
- Prospect Management and Solicitation- Research alumni prospects, determine target Annual Fund amounts and solicit contributions. Help ensure long-term support through consecutive and planned giving programs.
- Reporting- Provide descriptive reports for the team and Advancement Committee of the Board of Trustees. Serve as liaison between the FAAAB President and Advancement Office.
- Special Events- Collaborate with colleagues to oversee Fall Fair, the annual reunion program. Spearhead the NYC Alumni Reception and Long Island Alumni receptions. Attend regional receptions and campus events to meet alumni and donors, assist with various aspects of events, make introductions, champion and solicit for the alumni program, the Annual Fund, and capital campaign. Occasional public speaking.
- Work commitment- Able to work on occasional evenings and weekends to support school events. Travel as needed to meet with donors both locally and nationally.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required to perform each essential duty successfully. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Education and Experience:
Bachelor's degree from a four-year college or university with a degree of study in a relevant field; Master’s degree preferred. A minimum of 3-5 years of experience and proven fundraising results. Experience working in an educational institution is preferred.
An interested candidate should submit a resume and cover letter with the salary requirement.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have excellent technology skills. Proficient in working with Google Workspace, Microsoft Office Suite, Canva, and Social Media. Experience working with Senior Systems, Raiser’s Edge, or similar CRM is a plus. Familiar with prospect research techniques.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
Contributes to a positive team spirit; Works with minimal direction and oversight; Ability to meet deadlines; Pays great attention to detail; Excellent written and verbal communication skills; Shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences; Works with integrity and principles; Upholds organizational values and Quaker philosophy.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Ability to talk; finger; grasp; sit for extended periods of time; and repetitive motion. Sedentary work: possibly exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently to lift, carry or otherwise move objects. Stand for long periods of time. The ability to move from
building to building and around campus grounds. This position is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions.
Our Commitment to Diversity
Friends Academy is committed to our guiding principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion. We welcome candidates representing the diversity of the world as we deepen and elevate our educational program.
Friends Academy is an equal employment opportunity employer committed to hiring and retaining exceptional, dedicated people of diverse backgrounds. We consider qualified individuals for employment with the School regardless of age, color, disability, national origin, race, religion, sex, or any other state or federally protected classification.
We invite you to read our community welcome letter from our Director of Diversity, Equity, + Inclusion
Connections working at Friends Academy
About Friends Academy
We achieve educational excellence by committing to the highest standards of learning and living. Our diverse and welcoming community is strengthened by our Quaker values, which empower our students to inquire, reflect, and engage in their classrooms, in their neighborhoods, and in the world. Because when we inspire students to learn and live with purpose, they achieve greatness without sacrificing goodness.