Location: Livingston, New Jersey
Type: Full Time
Newark Academy is seeking a full-time math teacher to join our middle school faculty in August of 2023. The ideal candidate will have a passion for educating middle school students and inspiring mathematical thinking through active learning and creative problem-solving.
Located 35 miles from Manhattan in the suburb town of Livingston, New Jersey, Newark Academy’s 68-acre campus borders Morris and Essex counties. Its faculty is highly regarded in the New Jersey independent school community for its especially effective combination of teaching that embraces rigor and compassion. Newark Academy offers an exceptional environment in which to teach students in Grades 6-12. Learn more about Newark Academy on our website and Careers at NA page.
Newark Academy cultivates a diverse school community and is committed to fostering and maintaining a caring and inclusive environment that thrives on intellectual, social, and emotional interactions. Members of the Newark Academy community are encouraged to build trusting relationships with one another, grounded in kindness and empathy. Through intentional, active, and ongoing engagement of multiple voices, we strive to create an equitable environment where all members can have a sense of belonging to learn and grow as citizens of the world.
Prepare lessons to deliver to assigned students, generally four sections
- Collaborate with colleagues to design and improve curriculum and engage students
- Meet school guidelines regarding grading, record keeping, and use of the learning management system to post information about classes
- Participate in school-wide activities such as workshops, special events, and professional meetings
- Demonstrate flexibility and instructional agility in response to multiple teaching and learning scenarios
- Engage in the life of Newark Academy as a club sponsor, coach, and through various committees
Experience teaching mathematics in middle school, upper school, or higher ed setting
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree is preferred
- Experience working with and supporting a diverse community of students, parents, and colleagues
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal)
- Experience working in independent schools is preferred but not required
Diversity / Inclusion Statement:
Newark Academy seeks and celebrates diversity in its faculty, staff, and student body. In admissions and employment practices, scholarship aid and educational programs, Newark Academy upholds applicable state and federal laws and regulations prohibiting unlawful discrimination.
*Please email your resume and cover letter as a single PDF to Teaching@newarka.edu
Connections working at Newark Academy
About Newark Academy
Newark Academy, a co-educational, independent, nonsectarian, college-preparatory, Grades 6-12 day school in Livingston, NJ. Founded in 1774, Newark Academy is the second oldest day school in the state of New Jersey, and one of 11 pre-Revolutionary schools still operating in the United States. In 1964, the Academy moved from Newark to its current location in Livingston, NJ and, in 1971, became fully co-educational.
Mission Statement : Newark Academy will contribute to society thoughtful and compassionate citizens who embrace their responsibilities as ethical, intellectual and civic stewards in the global environment.
Newark Academy seeks and celebrates diversity in its faculty, staff and student body. In admission and employment practices, scholarship aid and educational programs, Newark Academy upholds applicable state and federal laws and regulations prohibiting unlawful discrimination.