Location: San Jose, California
Type: Part Time
Salary: $14,000-37,000 (depending on e
4 Year Degree
Full-time/Part-time - Exempt
Pay Range: $14,000-37,000 (depending on experience and # of sections)
About Presentation High School
Presentation High School is an independent Catholic college preparatory school for young women. We offer a competitive salary, comprehensive benefits, and a close-knit professional community. We seek talented and innovative professionals who have a commitment to excellence and passion for our mission.
Presentation High School in San Jose, California is seeking a full-time and/or part-time ASL instructor to join the Modern Language Department in the 2023-2024 school year. Historically, we have allowed some students to take American Sign Language to fulfill their “language” requirement, but they have always had to pursue that option off campus. This year, we are looking to offer at least one level (and up to three) of American sign language on site.
Because this is the first time we might be offering the course(s), we are uncertain of the number of sections we might be able to offer. We are looking for an experienced, innovative teacher who is eager to build this course and program with us.
Education & Experience
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The items below represent the education, and experience required or preferred. This position requires the ability to effectively establish and maintain cooperative working relationships within a diverse multicultural environment.
- B.A. degree and single-subject teaching credential or Masters Degree in the subject area.
- Relevant teaching experience, preferably 5 or more years at the high school level.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Total resonance with the mission, vision, and values of Presentation High School and the Catholic education tradition including a demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
- A commitment to the educational philosophy of Presentation High School.
- Willingness to adapt to an existing curriculum, as well as enhance the respective academic programs.
- Ability to work well with students, colleagues, and parents.
- A willingness to be an active, enthusiastic member of the Presentation community.
- A deep commitment to professional growth and interest in educational technology.
- Strong, proven teaching ability and passion for the academic subject.
- Knowledge of the latest pedagogy for effective classroom instruction and student learning.
- Excellent organization, verbal and written skills, as well as outstanding interpersonal skills.
- Commitment to equity and inclusion.
- Available and willing to work occasional co-curricular events, including overnight field trips.
The physical demands described below represent those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, as amended, the California Fair Employment & Housing Act, and all other applicable laws, Presentation High School provides reasonable accommodations for qualified persons with disabilities. A qualified individual is a person who meets the skill, experience, education, or other requirements of the position and who can perform the essential functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
The Part-Time American Sign Language Teacher must be able to
- lift and/or carry moderate weight of 10 pounds
- sit, stand, walk, climb stairs or ladder, reach, perform repetitive hand motions
- considerable time is spent at a desk using a computer terminal.
- work with frequent interruptions
Presentation High School is an Equal Opportunity employer committed to excellence through diversity and inclusion. In this spirit, particularly welcomes applications from women, persons of color, and members of historically underrepresented groups. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or other protected category under applicable law. The school will provide reasonable accommodations to individuals with a disability.
Please submit application, letter of interest/cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Qualified applicants will be contacted regarding the next steps.
Connections working at Presentation High School
About Presentation High School
Presentation High School is a secondary school for young women whose purpose and direction flow from the teaching mission of the Catholic Church and the educational ministry of the Sisters of the Presentation. This school strives to infuse the entire educational experience with the vision of life found in the Gospels. Each student is challenged to become a woman of faith, dedicated to working with others, intellectually competent and committed to her personal growth.