Location: New York City, New York
Type: Full Time
Position: Director of Finance & Administration
FLSA: Exempt, Full-Time
Start Date: July 1st, 2023
Saint David’s School is an independent, private school for boys serving PK through 8th Grade located in Manhattan. Founded by nine Catholic families in 1951, the school welcomes all applicants.
The Director of Finance and Administration (DFA) reports directly to and works closely with the Headmaster to develop and implement annual budgets and long-range strategic financial plans. The DFA is responsible for all aspects of the School’s financial operations and administrative functions; is expected to support the mission and values of the school by ensuring its financial health; and provide sound leadership within the school and broader community.
The DFA works directly with the Headmaster to create and execute the school’s operational and strategic planning, organizational structure, administrative tools and systems, and business decision-making. In support of the governance and fiduciary responsibilities of the Board of Trustees, the DFA will serve as a staff liaison to board committees and provide timely and accurate analysis and reporting to the board when required.
The DFA will have direct supervision of the Business Office which is responsible for all aspects of accounting, financial reporting, accounts payable, accounts receivable (student billing), payroll, annual audit, etc. Additionally, the DFA will have supervisory responsibility for the physical plant and food services operations, the financial aspects of the After School program, extracurricular Sports Programs, summer programs and the Parents Association. The DFA will play a major role during the planning and implementation of any construction projects and the tracking of related funding needs.
Saint David’s has a $26.5 million annual operating budget with approximately 425 students and 135 employees.
The successful candidate should:
- Lead, support, and supervise the business office (currently 3 members): delineate responsibilities, set clear goals, model and implement professional standards and internal controls, and provide for professional growth and development.
- Participate in and inform key decisions as they relate to strategic initiatives and
operational models at the administrative and governance levels.
- Be able to consistently deal with a wide variety of issues, situations, people, constituencies and challenges.
- Collaboratively build forward-looking financial models and activity-based analyses to provide insight and recommendations for the school’s growth plans.
- Be detail oriented and meticulous.
- Implement policies, procedures, and processes as deemed appropriate by the Headmaster.
The successful candidate should:
- Have a strong accounting / financial analysis background as well as a thorough understanding and skill set in all aspects of facility maintenance and risk management.
- Demonstrate initiative
- Represent Saint David’s School in a positive manner and participate in in-service programs
- Have an accounting or finance background (MBA preferred) with 5 years minimum
experience in management roles, preferably in schools or colleges
- Demonstrate outstanding communication and presentation skills
- Be ready to consistently engage, teach, and motivate staff and build consensus across a mission-driven organization
- Have experience working with external auditors, implementing internal controls, and
managing compliance-related issues
Compensation and Benefits:
The base salary range offered will be $300,000 - $350,000 based upon experience and qualification. Benefits offered to eligible employees include a range of options for health and welfare, including insurance coverage with employer contributions across the plans; pre tax 403 (b) retirement plan, a School contribution towards retirement, a Health Savings Account option; pre-tax transit benefits; support for professional growth and development; and the opportunity to participate in a community based on collaboration, mutual care, and a commitment to the greater good.
Please send cover letter with expression of interest and résumé, via e-mail only to email@example.com
Attention: John Sproule, Director of Finance & Administration
Saint David’s School is committed to equal employment opportunities for all individuals. The school will make all employment decisions for employees and applicants without unlawful discrimination as to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy, age, marital status, military or veteran status, gender identity and expression, creed, genetic predisposition, victim of domestic violence or any other basis protected by law