Location: Bellevue, Washington
Type: Full Time
2 openings available.
Open Window School nurtures and inspires students of high intellectual potential.
Open Window School (K-8, coed, 358 student day school) is seeking highly qualified candidates for its Middle School Math Teacher position.
Open Window is dedicated to serving gifted students. With a strong commitment to social-emotional learning, these exceptional young people are nurtured and inspired in both their academic and personal growth. Parents/guardians and students alike are quick to point out the strength in the faculty and the close relationships Open Window teachers forge with their students. Open Window students have true enthusiasm for deep and accelerated learning, with an emphasis on project-based initiatives with real world application. Innovation and risk taking are encouraged within a supportive environment. Open Window School graduates are empathetic, academically well-prepared, innovative problem solvers, purposeful global citizens with a commitment to equity and inclusion. This is a place where it is cool to be smart and the expectation is that our students will graduate and make a difference in high school and beyond.
Located on a beautiful campus in Bellevue, Washington, 10 miles from the center of downtown Seattle, Open Window benefits from its unique location; it is surrounded by woods right in the middle of one of the fastest growing metro populations in the country. The school enjoys a robust and growing pipeline of students which will continue to drive demand for the type of rich educational experience guided by Open Window’s mission and values.
Open Window School seeks a energetic, creative, collaborative and passionate math teacher for the 2023-24 school year. The mission of the OWS mathematics department is to develop adept problem solvers who see the beauty of mathematics and recognize its power to describe the world around them. This is accomplished through helping students develop four key attributes: curiosity, courage, collaboration, and creativity.
Curiosity. Students will learn to:
- Value their natural inquisition and their sense of wonder
- Develop their ability to pose, refine, and extend authentic mathematical questions
Courage. Students will learn to:
- Embrace productive struggle and persevere to make sense of problems
- Recognize that making mistakes is vital to the problem-solving process
Collaboration. Students will learn to:
- Work together to tackle difficult problems and co-create mathematical understanding
- Communicate conjectures, ideas, reasoning, and arguments
- Listen genuinely and provide productive, respectful feedback
Creativity. Students will learn to:
- Explore mathematical ideas by combining the spirit of play with rigorous reasoning.
- Appreciate and demonstrate resourcefulness, flexibility, and ingenuity in the problem-solving process
Major Areas of Responsibility/Specific Duties:
- Teaching a combination of courses (including an accelerated 5th grade math curriculum, pre-algebra, algebra 1 & 2, geometry 1 &2).
- Updating, refining, and expanding the math curriculum within the structure of the courses taught.
- Assessing students using multiple measures and communicating with families about student progress.
- Maintaining curriculum maps and course documentation.
- Collaborating with colleagues both in the math department and across departments and grade levels.
- Serving as an advisor to Middle School Students.
- Participating in co-curricular school activities and overnight trips.
- Other duties as needed and assigned.
Successful Candidates are:
- Flexible and adaptable with an authentic love and curiosity for math
- Excited to inspire students with a creative and innovative curriculum
- Are knowledgeable about task-based, inquiry-driven and student-focused learning
- Innovative in developing lessons that integrate hands-on and real world learning
- Skilled in combining traditional math instruction with interdisciplinary STEM activities
- Committed to diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging
- Able to differentiate for varied levels and learning styles?
- Confident in the subject area beyond high school level
- Proficient in the use of technology to enhance and deepen learning
- Understanding and appreciative of the developmental needs of adolescents
- Experienced in developing and practicing cultural competence in teaching, research, and other work.
Qualities & Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree and/or relevant experience.
- Experience in gifted education is a plus.
- Experience with an advisory program is a plus.
- Excellent cultural competency, willing and able to excel to work with multiple groups of people from diverse backgrounds.
- Excellent written and verbal skills demonstrated via phone, email, and in-person conversations.
- Demonstrated attention to detail and strong organizational skills.
- Ability to work independently, collegially, and collaboratively. Positive team member.
- Demonstrate a warm, engaging demeanor towards families, colleagues, and public.
- Strong computer skills and proficient user of Microsoft Office, as well as a willingness to learn new technology as needed.
- Supports our mission statement to nurture and inspire students of high intellectual potential.
Manager: Director of the Middle School
Compensation: Starting salary $59,000 (compensation for this role is dependent on a combination of education and experience. Please reference the OWS Lead Teacher Salary Scale for additional information)
Position Classification: Exempt, Full Time; this position is benefit eligible
Hours: 8am – 4pm, Tuesdays until 5pm. This role requires some commitments outside these hours including, but not limited to school events and Middle School Trips.
- Sick leave and paid holidays
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance (paid 100% for employee only coverage)
- Employer paid Health Reimbursement Account
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- 403(b) Retirement Account, Pre-tax & Roth Options (eligible for employer contribution and employer match after one year of service).
- Life and AD&D Insurance
- Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Professional development and training opportunities
Proof of COVID-19 vaccination will be verified by the Human Resources Manager after an employment offer has been extended and accepted. Please reach out to Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org if you need information on a medical or religious accommodation.
Please submit a cover letter describing your interest in and qualifications for this position, your resume, and answers to the Diversity Commitment Questions below on our Career Opportunities website. Applicants must submit an answer to both of the following Diversity Commitment Questions as a single word or pdf document:
- How would you define diversity?
- Describe how you have demonstrated a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion in your current or prior job. If necessary, candidates can draw upon their experience in community organizations if professional experience is limited.
Please be prepared to provide 3-5 professional references and one personal reference if requested. If you are unable to apply online, you are welcome to fax your resume, cover letter, and answers to the Diversity Commitment Questions to 425-644-6320.
Open Window School does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, color, religion, creed, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, national or ethnic origin, or other status legally protected by local, state, or federal law.
Connections working at Open Window School
About Open Window School
Open Window School, an independent K-8 school serving intellectually gifted students, is is located in Bellevue/Issaquah, Washington and is fully accredited by NWAIS (Northwest Association of Independent Schools). Founded in 1983 to provide an educational environment specially designed for gifted learners, Open Window is, to use the school’s motto, a place “Where Students Love to Learn.” Current enrollment is 340 students. More Information is available at openwindowschool.org.