Location: Sedona, Arizona
Type: Full Time
Salary: Commensurate with experience
4 Year Degree
Director of Advancement
Verde Valley School
Location: Sedona, AZ, USA
Type: Full-time administration
Preferred Education: Masters
Benefits: Benefits package, year-round housing, meals while in session
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Start Date: July 1, 2023 (preferred)
Verde Valley School is a small (c. 120 students), independent boarding and day school serving grades 9-12. VVS was founded in 1948 on the principles of academic excellence, world citizenship, physical labor, and service to others. The International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Programme is our main curriculum, and our diverse community comprises local and international students. Please visit our website for more information at www.vvsaz.org.
Position begins July 1, 2023 for the 2023-24 academic year. VVS seeks a Director of Advancement for a multi-cultural and experiential co-ed boarding and day school nestled in the valley overlooking Cathedral Rock in Sedona, Arizona. As VVS classes are inherently international, cultural sensitivity is highly valued. Candidates must be willing to engage wholeheartedly in all facets of boarding school life. Salary commensurate with other small schools, with a benefits package that includes year-round housing and meals on campus while school is in session.
The school is seeking an experienced Director of Advancement to lead and manage its fundraising, friendraising, and alumni outreach efforts. This position reports directly to the Head of School and is responsible for strategically promoting the school’s brand, cultivating relationships with key constituent groups, and soliciting gifts that support the school’s mission. The Director of Advancement collaborates extensively with the Director of Enrollment Management to oversee all external communications ensuring that the school maintains a clear and consistent voice to its stakeholders.
Applications will be accepted until March 3, 2023. Interviews will be conducted via Zoom, and a select group of finalists will be invited to campus to meet with additional stakeholders including staff, board members, and the administrative team. We hope to sign a contract of employment by mid-April.
The Director of Advancement is responsible for the development and implementation of strategic plans to raise funds for Verde Valley School. Specific duties include:
- Overseeing and managing fundraising efforts, building strong and successful relationships, maintaining communications with donors and patrons, and collaborating with staff effectively to execute fundraising activities.
- Maintaining strong relationships within the global and local communities of VVS.
- Serving on the Advancement Committee of the Board and helping to set (and meet) annual plans and fundraising goals.
- Increasing alumni and (grand)parental support of VVS.
- Overseeing gift processing, in conjunction with the business office, for the purpose of providing receipts and acknowledgement letters.
- Providing expert guidance in the development of strategic data mapping within the Blackbaud suite of products for VVS.
- Educating potential donors on planned giving opportunities including, but not limited to estate planning, gifts of securities, and corporate matching donations.
- Together with the Director of Enrollment Management, setting and maintaining professional writing and design standards for school communications.
- Other duties assigned by the Head of School.
- Authentic desire to elevate Verde Valley School and to embrace/advance its mission.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, communications, or other applicable field, master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum 2 years of advancement experience and a strong understanding of best practices in independent school philanthropy.
- Demonstrated ability to conceptualize, plan, and cohesively integrate a full range of advancement programs.
- Event management experience and passion for community social events.
- Excellent marketing and communication skills, both oral and written, and a passion for constituent relations, including volunteer and alumni engagement.
- Fluency with donor tracking software, proficiency using Raiser’s Edge preferred.
- Ability to provide meaningful, productive engagement opportunities for volunteers assisting with the advancement initiatives.
- Skilled problem-solver and critical, strategic thinker who will meet challenges with creative and effective solutions.
- Resourceful, committed, self-directed, and goal-oriented with an entrepreneurial spirit, astrong work ethic, and keen attention to detail.
- Familiarity with IRS regulations as they relate to philanthropic giving and industryaccounting and reporting standards.
- Experience in a not-for-profit environment is preferred.
Connections working at Verde Valley School
About Verde Valley School
Verde Valley School is a small, independent, boarding and day school serving grades 9-12. The International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Program is our main curriculum, and the student body is composed of both students from around the world and throughout the United States. VVS’s guiding principles include academic excellence, intercultural understanding and service to others. Please visit our website for more information at www.vvsaz.org.